***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Hello everyone! My name's Hannah. :D Glad to see a large Okie thread. I live close to Poteau, OK and share a home with 5 hens (and a chihuahua). I've only recently got into chickens, but it's the best decision I've ever made.

Welcome! I'm new to OK and this thread! Chickens are addicting, be careful!
1f606.png

Hey ,From GA
Love to hear from ya'll .....But I need to find some chicks near me !!!! I'm new to this ,so I need all the help I can get !!!!

Barnyard annie

Hey ,From GA
Love to hear from ya'll .....But I need to find some chicks near me !!!! I'm new to this ,so I need all the help I can get !!!!

Barnyard annie

I've noticed that they have a thread here on just about anything. From location to breed you want. Either of those could connect you with more than the chicks you plan on getting. Also they have several swap poultry auction threads based on location. You can look up any thread you think will be helpful and if it doesn't have that exact name like google it'll give you the closest.

Howdy and welcome Fallen1 therarebreed and Barnyard Annie. Hope you enjoy this site. If your beginners with chickens or like me after 30 yrs around them the Learning center has quick helpful hints and basic on about everything. After that you can ask all the detailed questions you want. Someone will help.

A late last year order is now producing this years.

2 outta 9 plus the ceramic egg she was setting on didn't make it. I'm not disappointed.

Lots of new folks on the Okie thread!
welcome-byc.gif

Nice weather meant everyone had a chance to free-range today. When the Cuckoo Marans group was out, they popped the top off the cat food container and helped themselves. I checked crops when I realized what they'd done, but nobody seemed to be overly full.

It's been nice here nearly every day this week! I've been letting the fluff-butts out, and this is the first week they've been let out since I got them. I made a switch from bannies to standard hens in November, so they've been locked up, unfortunately! But they love it! They ate a yellow jacket for me yesterday so I'm hoping they keep that trend up and eat any more wasps they manage to see!

Here are my precious little poops...

Mystery is a Buff Orp hen gifted to me at Christmas time.
I've adored these birds and their colors since I saw them. However, she came to me and my other girls bullied her, but now she's part of the flock and gets along fine!
Daisy-May is a Production Red I've had since the beginning. She was 5 months old when I got her, and started laying around 9 months old. She's changed so much since August! She's also my dumbest hen, but the friendliest. Her hobby is chasing flies.
Big Mama is a hybrid - I'm guessing a Buff Brahma/Buff Orp cross. She has feathered feet, pink legs, black tail feather tips and a small comb. The lady I bought her from told me she was a Rhode Island Red and I was like, "I DON'T THINK SO but I want her cause she's beautiful."
Anklebiter is exactly what her name suggests. She's a pecky little turd who pecks me all the time. I got her from a neighbor, and she's some sort of mutt.
Lady MacBeth is a mutt as well, also from the same neighbors. She's super skittish and has crooked toes. She's a pretty bird with butter spread on her feathers. She's the most vocal of my five.

I have a question. We had backyard chickens on our 1/3 acre in TX. We have several acres here on our OK farm and I would like to be able to free range but I'm worried about predators. It was easy to keep my girls safe on our little place. I have heard keeping a goose with your flock helps keep hawks away, but what about coyotes? Or as long as I keep the chickens up at night is that not a problem? We do have an LGD, but he roams all the property and doesn't always stick close to the chickens. He does chase predators away when they come around. I just want to make sure my girls are safe.

Back
Top Bottom