***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Any ideas on what to do with a 2day old chick with a compound wing break? There was a piece of bone (I now believe) that came off - it was about the length of a grain of rice but about a fifth as thick. Injury seems to be in the armpit area. Hard to tell with such a small thing. NO CLUE whats going on with first photo.

That is completely normal for them to leave the nest 1 or 2 times for about 30 minutes a day, they need to eat drink and poop, the eggs will be fine.

Aaah that's a relief! She definitely eats and drinks and poops when she's up then makes a fuss and runs as fast as her legs can carry her back to her nest.

When I candle them tomorrow, and there's no veins forming in the egg, should I toss them? I assume three days at 80+ Temps would ruin an egg?

Thank you so much for the help!!

The hen's temperature on the eggs is between 99 and 100. Wait until day 7 so you can really see what is growing and what isn't. Some eggs might be behind the first laid eggs. You can toss them or boil and crumble for your chirps, cat or dog.

Any ideas on what to do with a 2day old chick with a compound wing break? There was a piece of bone (I now believe) that came off - it was about the length of a grain of rice but about a fifth as thick. Injury seems to be in the armpit area. Hard to tell with such a small thing. NO CLUE whats going on with first photo.
A few suggestions.... In order to keep it clean from dirt and wood shavings, the open wound needs a scab. It is so small it would be hard to bandage with gauze and neosporen. Fuzz will soon be replaced by feathers too. Antibiotics to fight infection can be given orally by dissolving a tablet in a little water and dosing with a syringe without a needle. Nutridrench can be dosed by the drop or added to drinking water to give added vitamins and minerals. If you don't have that use a drop of baby vitamin Polyvisol w/o iron. Most henhouse chickens don't fly much..so a low roost will work for it as it grows.

Last edited:
Aaah that's a relief! She definitely eats and drinks and poops when she's up then makes a fuss and runs as fast as her legs can carry her back to her nest.

When I candle them tomorrow, and there's no veins forming in the egg, should I toss them? I assume three days at 80+ Temps would ruin an egg?

Thank you so much for the help!!

How long has she been setting? Are you sure they are fertile? Veins should start developing really soon (just days in to incubation) no veins means no developing. The 80 days aren't the problem I had eggs hatch through the summer.

How long has she been setting?  Are you sure they are fertile?  Veins should start developing really soon (just days in to incubation) no veins means no developing.  The 80 days aren't the problem I had eggs hatch through the summer.

She's only been sitting since yesterday! That's why I was wondering about after th third day if I should toss them if they're not developing.

The hen's temperature on the eggs is between 99 and 100. Wait until day 7 so you can really see what is growing and what isn't. Some eggs might be behind the first laid eggs. You can toss them or boil and crumble for your chirps, cat or dog.

I've marked three eggs for her to keep, and the rest I've been gathering. But I'll keep that in mind! Thank you

Holy cow! This one must have hurt!

2 questions:

My broody OE isn't giving up. Anyone in the Noble, Norman,Pink,Macomb,area have a few eggs in an incubator they would be willing to sell?

What are those of you with free rangers doing about ticks this year? Since we had such a mild winter, they are going to be bad this year. We have already pulled 2 from my daughter's scalp. My dog is on Bravecto. Not sure if they are jumping off of her once they get inside. I hate to spread a bunch of chemicals outside, but we may not be able to avoid it.

2 questions:

My broody OE isn't giving up. Anyone in the Noble, Norman,Pink,Macomb,area have a few eggs in an incubator they would be willing to sell?

What are those of you with free rangers doing about ticks this year? Since we had such a mild winter, they are going to be bad this year. We have already pulled 2 from my daughter's scalp. My dog is on Bravecto. Not sure if they are jumping off of her once they get inside. I hate to spread a bunch of chemicals outside, but we may not be able to avoid it.
I use a 10% permethrin based spray. Can be sprayed directly on cattle, horses, dogs and chickens and in chicken coops for mites. I put 4 ounces per gallon on 1,000 sq ft. I spray the whole pasture with the tractor but that's on 10 acres. You can use a hand sprayer and cover the yard, fence rows, and wherever you or the dogs, horses, cattle go or hangout and not do the whole property. It greatly reduces the ticks I have to pull of the horses, dogs, and me. You can stay away from the chicken coops if you are worried about that. It can hurt ornamental flowers. In the garden I use 7 dust right before it rains.

Back
Top Bottom