***OKIES in the BYC III ***

spent this morning moving all silky pens to the porch area, and have managed to merge the bantams and layer flock, after losing Captain, no sense in seperate flocks, so i have the regular flock- mixed bag and bantams, the faverolles in their own pen off the porch, and silkies snug and safe on the porch- sure simplifies things- still trying to convince the broodies we don't need more chicks- the guinea keets and Olivia should be easy to integrate back into the flock in about a month-

thinking about getting some guineas to run in the yard. ho would I train them to roost in the coop and run the yard without letting them in and out?

that is a fact, I have 7 cockerals of various ages, three are about yours' age. after several purchases, I finally have 6 pullets but I dont need that many males...lol. Did papa say what line yours are from?

here is a pic of one of my oldest...they are 5 1/2 months
Handsome boy! I didn't think to ask him which line, I will now that you mention it.

thinking about getting some guineas to run in the yard. ho would I train them to roost in the coop and run the yard without letting them in and out?
I do not have guineas myself but I have been told that if you let a broody hen raise them they will be more like chickens and more likely to roost in a coop.

Betsy would be the one to ask- with mine, they kind of run on their own,. i raised them in a coop, but they decided the trees were better, until an owl scared them, now they roost on the porch at nite, treats are a good incentive, they love black sunflower seed, spaghetti, most anything the chickens will like they will

Teganoid, where are you? What breed are your 2 girls?
Edit: I'm sorry, I just saw you had a sick one. I just can't risk it with all the ones I've lost to illness. I think I'll just put my 2 Cochin bantam girls in with the Frizzle boy.

That's okay. Totally understandable. I found someone who is going to take them.

Spent yesterday working on making panels to enclose the coops to protect the birds from the predator...we think a skunk. It had killed five so far. Then this morning, we go out to find a bird dead in one of the pens that is totally covered in chicken wire. How it got in there and didn't kill more is a mystery. I spent this morning rewiring every possible loose spot and this evening set the live trap. I am so angry and frustrated. We have been so fortunate to not have predator attacks for over 10 years and now to have 7 attacks in two months! We've lost a goose to a coyote and now chickens to a skunk....hate those critters.

Just got back from the Newcastle Auction. It seemed that prices were very low.....Why did I let a LG fowl Blk Cochin go for $6.50? Not very many BYC'ers there.

Just got back from the Newcastle Auction. It seemed that prices were very low.....Why did I let a LG fowl Blk Cochin go for $6.50?   Not very many BYC'ers there.

I was there, i didn't see you though. I *think I saw BirdWire and she's the person I sat next to at the Blanchard auction last week and didn't even know it (if it was her). I saw that Cochin boy, didn't Rebecca buy it? There were a ton of birds-wow.
I got a beautiful 1/2 grown Faverolles boy for only $3.50, 3 wonderful sweet 5 mo or so old Delawares for ony $6 each. But we did pay $46 for 2 Silver phoenix hens, beautiful girls. I've wanted Silver Phoenix girls sice i lost mine last year, these are very nice looking.
Robin, i got a 10 ounce (weighed him) Black Silkied Serama that looks just like your Jet :) I couldn't resist, he reminded me so much of yours, he's even tinier than Channing.
My husband got a black and silver rooster for $1, he felt sorry for him cuz no one wanted him. He's got a muff and feathered legs and he's actually a really nice boy. I think he did pretty good for a dollar.

I was there, i didn't see you though. I *think I saw BirdWire and she's the person I sat next to at the Blanchard auction last week and didn't even know it (if it was her). I saw that Cochin boy, didn't Rebecca buy it? There were a ton of birds-wow.
I got a beautiful 1/2 grown Faverolles boy for only $3.50, 3 wonderful sweet 5 mo or so old Delawares for ony $6 each. But we did pay $46 for 2 Silver phoenix hens, beautiful girls. I've wanted Silver Phoenix girls sice i lost mine last year, these are very nice looking.
Robin, i got a 10 ounce (weighed him) Black Silkied Serama that looks just like your Jet :) I couldn't resist, he reminded me so much of yours, he's even tinier than Channing.
My husband got a black and silver rooster for $1, he felt sorry for him cuz no one wanted him. He's got a muff and feathered legs and he's actually a really nice boy. I think he did pretty good for a dollar.

I was there and it didn't even occur to me to look for you. I was so tired! I went to the consession to get a pop and remember that I didn't have anu cash in my wallet. So I sat down and then remembered I had $80 cash in my pocket from the incubator I sold. Then I said "Time to go home".
So sorry I didn't get to say hello.
There were a lot of nice birds that went for a song.

Back
Top Bottom