***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Dubbing is not that difficult, but I don't think I'd want to ever dub a "big" rooster, just a little chickie.
I would bet the competition is pretty tough in the OEG dept. Your boy is a beauty though.
Love the names, very imaginative

I would agree with SonRise, cutting/burning that comb off (sorry, I personally dont know how it is done) would likely be painful, leave a large wound, and cause lots of blood loss. I've seen my vet 'dehorn' larger animals where they weren't done correctly as babies - it was hard to watch. Same kind of thing with docking a dogs tail. As new pups - fairly minor thing - but you would never want to do it to a grown dog unless it were medically necessary.
Sorry, just my two cents.

Hope everyone is having a good day! Rinda, sorry for the losses. I am SO sick of this dad-gum nasty weather as well. I wan't off this roller coaster ride! Notsuperwoman, love those Silkies! My daughter plans to show hers for 4H as well. I know nothing about show standard so we will probably get laughed at. We have a white pullet and brown funky color cockerel. She will show the pullet who is white, poofie, black skin, extra toe. That's all I know lol! Since we got those she became OBSESSED with Silkies.

Everyone is finally getting over the junk that was brought in. The little bantam Frizzle who is just now getting her grown up voice and head feathers (she was plucked balled on the head) is just iffy. She had the Deramyacin (ugh spelling on that stinks sorry) then I treated with Tylan. She still has a little sneeze. I keep her in the garage with a heat lamp to keep her warm. I tried to put her in the bantam pen and she gets chased and picked on then loses feathers and hovers to a corner and stays there. I don't know what to do with her! I'm hoping that maybe when she gets all those head feathers then maybe they wont be so dang mean. Then I have a little Cochin cockerel bantam in the same pen who is just a stink! He picked on the larger pullet and I think everyone is scared of him. I need to rehome him as I have a silkie cockerel already. I love his little crow though... oh well.
So if anyone wants the frizzle to see if they can get her to stop sneezing (no drainage or anything else... just a little "choo" once in awhile) and maybe she can find a good home with you then she is yours for the taking! Same with the Cochin cockerel! Both are black. Cockerel I believe is in good health. I just don't have the patience with those two right now and it breaks my heart to see that little frizzle picked on. She's not very big either.

Got all eggs going in the incubator and a friend is loaning two extra incubators. Both are Little Giant Still air. I just feel anxiety with the still air though. Does anyone have any tips? I have used the forced air before and I like that the heat was the same all over but with the still air I am scared to death that I am going to cook them! Not to mention I hate this up and down weather causing inside temps to fluctuate then the bators are going crazy with 99 then 100, then 99 then 98. I hope that doesn't hurt the eggs in that one. The still air is just as bad with 100, 101, 102 then back to 101... stays there then nope it decided it wants to be 102. UGH!
barnie.gif
Any suggestions? How much will this effect my hatch? So far all looks well with the eggs but I am still watching that thermometer like a hawk!

I agree too... It will be too hard to dubb/cut. I really do not understand why that is still part of the standard?

I think we are just going to show the silkies, but take the OEG along and ask some one for tips and opinions. He might become a part of a breeding program? Or he just may end up the spoiled house rooster (when my hubby is at work). :)

True5 don't worry too much about small temp fluctuations. How accurate is your thermometer though? If you calibrated it then you should be able to go from 98 to 101 without hurting the eggs. 102 or higher for more than 5-6 hours can start to affect them. Did you let the temp in the bator stabilize before yoy added eggs?

Mine is a still air and I get very good hatches in it. I've heard of problems using forced air.

Well, I didn't tell you guys this, but two weeks ago, my silkie hen, Isabelle, eggbound while I was at work. When I got home, she was dead in the nest box. Today I am just really missing her.
sad.png
She was the loudest of any of our chickens, and I miss listening to her griping in the coop.

Rinda, I've been using the Little Giants and those things just aren't dependable. I'm kind of country and the temperature of my house fluctuates. What's really infuriating, though, is when it's NOT fluctuating, but for some reason the temperature of the Little Giant jumps up to 108. Then you'll be using it for days and it'll be spot on, and without any drastic temperature changes the temp will drop to 87. Those things really annoy me.

Thanks for everyone's help and ideas. Lost my girl this morning. Yearning for spring.....
I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif
I'm crying and she's not even mine.
hit.gif
It's just that all of us seem to be going through something. One of my female geese, is so sick. She's the one I bought with Huey (the amourous one) but she had chosen a differnet mate. I'm so bloomin' mad because I can't get av vvet to help me. I've talked to Dr. Herrin at the af dept. and he said he wouldn't give up yet, but she is suffering so much. The bacteria went to her brain and has caused wry neck , but with a goose it's different. It just goes all over the place. Hubby is tube feeding her, because she won't eat or drink. I don't think she can on her own. I'm so tired I can't sleep and Glenn is sleeping now because we take shifts with her, but I won't tube feed her. I'm too scared. I don't know how many horses I've tubed, but it's so much different and they have a stomach where of course the birds don't. Anyway, that's my sad story; Neither one of us can put her down yet. I tried talking to an Avian vet in OKC, but the receptionist wouldn't even take any info since it was a goose
somad.gif
I'm supposed to meet someone in Okmulgee to take some goose eggs and duck eggs, but I might just have to misss a sale. Iam going to try to call Texas A and M to see if I can get anyhelp and if not I';; call the universityin Ft. Collins, Co. I jsut want to know if she can get over the torticollis with proper treatment. If not I need to find someone who will put her down for us.Sorry about my typing. My keyboard is messed up and keeps sticking. I have a new one but the plug is different. Please, PLEASE, if anybody reads this and can give me any insight please so. I am putting DMSO in her water that hubby is tubing sown her. I'm going to call my vet to get fluids and just subq herwith a slow drip since IV a bird wouldn't be practicle since it;s on the wing. I send you my love and am so sorry for the losses of your two hens.
hugs.gif
love.gif

PS Did u ever get the worm e-mail. I hadn't heard back.

Back
Top Bottom