***OKIES in the BYC III ***

The whole world has gone mad, I tell you. Mad mad mad ... just thought id throw that out there.
that sums my morning up... why are chickens so much easier to deal with than people??

grandson broke parole and is on the run back to his druggy friends, keep andrew and the family in prayer

@Poco Pollo the tractor now has the cochins in it- but the girls aren't so sure about the weird guy

that sums my morning up... why are chickens so much easier to deal with than people?? grandson broke parole and is on the run back to his druggy friends, keep andrew and the family in prayer @Poco Pollo the tractor now has the cochins in it- but the girls aren't so sure about the weird guy
They are so pretty! Is that one blue mottled? And with a frizzle roo??? How do I get on a list for those hatching eggs?!?

that sums my morning up... why are chickens so much easier to deal with than people??

grandson broke parole and is on the run back to his druggy friends, keep andrew and the family in prayer

@Poco Pollo the tractor now has the cochins in it- but the girls aren't so sure about the weird guy
What beautiful colors! And such sweet faces.

In the Rhodebars and Legbars they depend on the barring gene to get the sexable down. A female only has one barring gene so has a small or non-existant head spot and a male has two barring genes so has a large head spot. The Barring gene is sex-linked, she can only give it to her sons, not her daughters. Males are ZZ and females are ZW. That's why females determine the gender in chickens. Anyway, the barring gene is on the Z chromosome. So the hen gives a Z with barring to each son and a W with no barring to each daughter. Males give a barred Z to each chick. Theoretically yes if you crossed them you would still get sexable chicks. They would not be purebred but I assume you knew that. Hope that isn't TMI!

Found this on another BYC thread (for a chicken but probably correct for a guinea as well):

the dose is .10cc per lb
I use a 20 gauge needle. given in the breast muscle, alternating sides each time.
once a day for at LEAST 3 days. 7 days is about the limit for safely injecting.

Hi there!
My comment to be will show just what a chicken noob I am
tongue.png
but, I did NOT know the girls determined the gender of the chick!!! That's just way cool!

*Knock on wood* I have never had to give a chicken a shot, yet, but I am sure my time will come. However, I use 20 gauge needles on my cows, which have skin 15 times thicker than a human, and I assumed a chickens skin would be much more tender.
How can a small chicken possibly handle such a large needle? Is this only in the breast area? Does the thigh take a smaller gauge?

Since I am picking your brain
big_smile.png
already, mind telling me the 'rules' for worming chickens? My girls are 11 months old and I haven't wormed them since last summer, but that was with Wazine (I hope I spelled that right).

Now, I have two reasons for coming here tonight;

1) At the end of last month I went for my 3 month follow-up with my Radiologist/Oncologist/ENT and I am SOOO happy to report that my PET scan showed my tumor has completely disappeared and as of this moment I am cancer free!!!!!! I give ALL the glory to my good Lord above!!

2) I am in the market to purchase pullets, breed is truly unimportant, but I do have a few preferences; crème to brown egg layers, good free rangers, and either laying or will start in the next 30 days or so, and I also wouldn't mind them being of the broody type.

The breeds I currently have are: Red and Black Sex Links, Buff Rocks, Light Brahma's and Partridge Rocks.

They can be any of those breeds or something else, as long as they will be productive layers and dependent upon price I am looking for 6-10.

I started selling eggs and I literally cannot keep up with demand and I have plenty of room to add up to 10 more girls.
So, if anyone has what I am looking for please call, or text, me at 918-873-0395!

Hugs to you all - Prayers to those who need and/or want them!

The whole world has gone mad, I tell you. Mad mad mad ... just thought id throw that out there.

Amen to that. I read a news article yesterday that I wish I could scrub from my brain. Some people make me regret how much innovation has dulled the effect of natural selction on our species.

Robin, that blue mottled is gorgeous!

You guys are in my prayers. I know your heart must be so heavy.

Quote: thank you, those cochin girls the breeder no longer does them, her son lost interest, so they are it for that line- so hopefully they will start laying soon, sweet sweet personalities, the roo came form Darren Allen and that boy is sweet, just a little over enthusiastic with the young ladies - so they are still on short visits

I don't know on the grandson, its just floored me and all i can do is trust the Lord will protect him and bring some good influences to him- his folks at this point won't welcome him home as he has been bullying the siblings, he had an electronic device and was on parole, so now, any leniency the courts may have shown is gone- sad situation

Hi there!
My comment to be will show just what a chicken noob I am :p  but, I did NOT know the girls determined the gender of the chick!!! That's just way cool! 

*Knock on wood* I have never had to give a chicken a shot, yet, but I am sure my time will come. However, I use 20 gauge needles on my cows, which have skin 15 times thicker than a human, and I assumed a chickens skin would be much more tender.
How can a small chicken possibly handle such a large needle? Is this only in the breast area? Does the thigh take a smaller gauge? 

Since I am picking your brain :D  already, mind telling me the 'rules' for worming chickens? My girls are 11 months old and I haven't wormed them since last summer, but that was with Wazine (I hope I spelled that right).

Now, I have two reasons for coming here tonight; 

1) At the end of last month I went for my 3 month follow-up with my Radiologist/Oncologist/ENT and I am SOOO happy to report that my PET scan showed my tumor has completely disappeared and as of this moment I am cancer free!!!!!!  I give ALL the glory to my good Lord above!!

2) I am in the market to purchase pullets, breed is truly unimportant, but I do have a few preferences; crème to brown egg layers, good free rangers, and either laying or will start in the next 30 days or so, and I also wouldn't mind them being of the broody type.

The breeds I currently have are: Red and Black Sex Links, Buff Rocks, Light Brahma's and Partridge Rocks.

They can be any of those breeds or something else, as long as they will be productive layers and dependent upon price I am looking for 6-10.

I started selling eggs and I literally cannot keep up with demand and I have plenty of room to add up to 10 more girls.
So, if anyone has what I am looking for please call, or text, me at 918-873-0395!

Hugs to you all - Prayers to those who need and/or want them!

Important stuff first. Congrats on being cancer free. That's wonderful. Thank God.
On the pullets, if you do Facebook, check out HodgePodge Poultry, near Muskogee, I hear that he's selling out of everything, right now. Real nice guy.

As for needle gauge, I use a 21-25 gauge. Sometimes, if the medicine is thick, I will draw it, with the larger needle, then inject it with the smaller one. I've not had much complaining from the chickens, when I inject them. I will usually try to distract them, by stroking them in another area, from where they are being injected, if I have a second set of hands.
I don't think there's much difference between a 21 and a 20 gauge, and it seems to me that I've used the 20's at times, too. Just inject easily.

Back
Top Bottom