***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Passionflowers are gorgeous! My mom used to grow them. My chickens don't like celery greens. They love melon, especially the seeds. I offered them cooked carrots and they kinda picked at them, but not much else. Oh, they like scrambled eggs, too. They seem to prefer weeds and bugs to most of the fruits and veggies I've given them. Wouldn't touch the fresh peaches from the tree, even though they were ripe and sweet. I'll try mashing and making smaller pieces of things, that sounds like a good plan.

This little poop turned 4wks old today! They definitely are the Production Red's child. Look at all that rusty red feathering coming in!
So this little ones genetics are Production Red hen x Speckled Sussex roo.
I'm guessing it's a roo? I feel like its comb is pretty big for its age

Handful of raspberries from the plants I got from kass. :)

Welcome Daniel!

The black plastic netting you put over small fruit trees to save the fruit from the birds make a good "catcher' for snakes. Open the package and unfold the netting. Kinda twist it and string it out along the bottom of your coop/pen. The snakes will crawl into it but cannot get out. I once avoided looking at an area in the feed shed awhile because of the awful smell (I thought it might be one of the neighbor's feral cats), and when I finally brought myself to pull it out, I found FIVE big black snakes caught in the netting the pack rats had pulled off the shelving. All but one were dead, and the fifth one became so.

Who all is planning to be at the swap in Skiatook the 9th? Hope to see several of you there.

Welcome Daniel!

The black plastic netting you put over small fruit trees to save the fruit from the birds make a good "catcher' for snakes. Open the package and unfold the netting. Kinda twist it and string it out along the bottom of your coop/pen. The snakes will crawl into it but cannot get out. I once avoided looking at an area in the feed shed awhile because of the awful smell (I thought it might be one of the neighbor's feral cats), and when I finally brought myself to pull it out, I found FIVE big black snakes caught in the netting the pack rats had pulled off the shelving. All but one were dead, and the fifth one became so.

Who all is planning to be at the swap in Skiatook the 9th? Hope to see several of you there.
I'll be there with my grandkids. I look forward to introducing them to you :)

My eldest chickens are now 3 mo. old.

My 3 Wyandottes

This Orpington poses well for pictures, and is always the first to approach when I go into the run. Very friendly. I'm not sure, but it looks and acts roo-ish to me. May just be the alpha-hen.

:welcome to Daniel.

Betsy, that must have been a yucky snarl or snakes!

We are in the driest part of central Oklahoma. The storms keep tantalizing us with thunder and a few sparks of lightening, then just fizzle out or blow around us. We have been running water in the garden for about a month now.
Today has been the most promising for rain, but so far nothing. So, I'm watering again.
We dug potatoes two days ago, the beds were really dry and the potatoes just rolled out almost clean.
Six hens are now broody in this heat. I've been avoiding giving them eggs until today. I moved them to the brooder room to brooder cages where the swamp cooler is keeping the temperatures tolerable. Each hen got a clutch of eggs...Columbian Wyandotte, Cochin, Bantam Delaware or White Wyandotte. Hopefully these are the last girls to go broody this summer.

Back
Top Bottom