***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Home from granddaughter's last soccer game...they won.

I went out to check on Jezebel and Popeye and to get eggs from the hen house. Found the BLRW Spash hen had died. Do not have a clue what happened to her. She was in the new pen I set up yesterday in the hen house along with the roo and the red blrw hen. Both of them are fine. The Splash hen is the one I took in for surgery on her eye a few weeks ago. She had been doing great and was able to see from that eye so nicely. I checked her all over...nothing to explain this loss. She had not laid an egg since the surgery.

Just this morning I had checked every fluffy butt and they were great except Jezebel, one of the 6 month old blue cochin pullets. I brought her inside because her crop was empty and should have been full from freeranging this morning with the teen flock and from the scratch they received. I fed her a mash and tubed her with honey water. Gave her an antibiotic and watched her for an hour. She was now eatting on her own. She is better, but still seems to have to breathe hard for each breath. But no wheezing, snot or any other symptoms. She had moved from the nest box where I put her to a sunny spot in her pen inside the teen pen. Delilah and Popeye are in there with her.

This is so frustrating!!!

Quote:
He is just dictating to you what you are supposed to write about him
caf.gif

Quote:
This would equal more than a pint and less than a quart...there is possibly enough salt as a preservative from the butter and bullion cubes.
You would have to refigure your recipe to make a quart. Separate into two pints and then pressure at 5 pounds of pressure for 10 minutes or waterbath for at least an hour. Might be better to freeze it.

Quote:
Oh how sad. After her surgery and everything. I've had about every kind of animal there is to have and chickens have me stumped. There's so many thousands of things that can and do go wrong and kill them and what's really frustrating is most times you don't know what the problem was. You're never quite sure, that's what drives me nuts. I hope your hen will do ok....

Northeast Oklahoma Poultry Show
All Bantam Games
Pryor, Ok

My birds placed as follows:

Bantam Shamo
Khaki (P)- BV
Wheaten (H)- RV & RB
Black (K)- RV

Bantam Cubalaya
Black Breasted Red (C)- BV & RB
Wheaten (H)- BV & BB
Wheaten (H #2)- RV

Had a good time visiting w/ Split Socket 222 & others
smile.png

Split Socket brought some Bantam Asil & Bantam Shamo.

I have photos, will post them at some point.

So much good chicken clucking going on I hate to interupt by posting this, BUT.. I know there was some discussion on hot water tanks in the recent past. Mine bit the dust and I'm trying to decide if I fix the whirlpool (whirlpool will send the parts since apparently most of them failed and they had a recall) or if it's time to upgrade to something new. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Got Game that sure is a nice asill! What kind of azill is he? know there are several different strains but am not up on them all.

Sure was windy here today. I painted my new A-frames and put the wire on them. Now have chickens in two of them. I think I am really going to like them. It got dark before I thought about pictures so will try and get some tomorrow. Glad to see all the new people on here! Welcome to everyone and join right in,we are not a shy bunch and generally have something to chat about!

Also good to see all the interest in the seramas. They are a neat breed and might be a good way for older people and people with infermaties(spelling!) to be able to enjoy poultry. They are really neat in that they produce some unique colors and combinations not seen even in other mixed color breeds. I have a roo that has tiny thread size pencilling all over his body,it actually gives him a hen look! Can't wait to see what it matures into.

Quote:
This would equal more than a pint and less than a quart...there is possibly enough salt as a preservative from the butter and bullion cubes.
You would have to refigure your recipe to make a quart. Separate into two pints and then pressure at 5 pounds of pressure for 10 minutes or waterbath for at least an hour. Might be better to freeze it.

I was curious if it could be canned so I could make it in bulk. I doubt there's as much salt in it as the recipe calls for since I use sodium free bullion and unsalted butter. I swapped the flour with half as much cornstarch and used it to make cream of chicken soup for a recipe tonight. I was hoping to be able to can a batch so I don't have to make it every time I need a cream soup, but ehhh. Do what we gotta.

Quote:
Personally I would look into getting a tankless model. They have made vast improvements in them since they came on the scene years ago.

Back
Top Bottom