***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote:
What is this with husbands today? My hubby smashed his thumb attaching the cutter drive shaft to the tractor this morning. Fortunately he had on heavy gloves and was able to deflect the shaft on the way down so it only caught his thumb. The thumb is swollen but he can move the knuckle.

Nice incubator Bill. How do the pint jars work? I can't tell if any are open.

We just spent the last 30 minutes catching and caging a white parakeet that has been flitting around the house today. From it's size it is a recent hatch and an escapee. The nares don't show any color yet either. The mockingbird kept it on the go but it kept coming back to the lovebirds that are caged outside in the carport. It is in a cage haning next to the lovebirds and hasn't left the food bowl yet. Poor thing.

Last edited:
We just spent the last 30 minutes catching and caging a white parakeet that has been flitting around the house today. From it's size it is a recent hatch and an escapee. The nares don't show any color yet either. The mockingbird kept it on the go but it kept coming back to the lovebirds that are caged outside in the carport. It is in a cage haning next to the lovebirds and hasn't left the food bowl yet. Poor thing.
Very interesting "stray". I think the poor baby found a good home though.

You know it's hot when Fluffles is thinking about taking a dip in the pool!
D.gif

Wanted to wait until it was done before posting pics...but this is what I have been working on the last few weeks

Started with some maple 3/4" plywood and a couple sticks of oak...A little cutting, a little routing...whole bunch of sanding and finish coats...

The final product, an incubator that will hold 5 Miller auto turn racks and not look like dookie in my living room, lol!

Very nice BFrancis!

Are my dogs the only ones getting beat down by the heat? Poor Pyrenees is laid out in the kitchen floor like he can't move. He never comes in, but laid right down & hasn't gotten back up. The other 2 boys are in DD bed out for the afternoon. The golden retriever mix is the only 1 that hasn't noticed the heat. We let her in & she is acting wild & crazy. This is her first time ever inside & the past hour I think she has inspected each room a dz times. May be a long couple of months!
My dogs go out and use the bathroom and come straight back in. My Australian usually likes to be outside but my big fat Golden has always been happy just staying in.

My husband is drooling over your incubator Bill! Nice job.

Think we've given up trying to finish the garage conversion this week. It's just too hot and we're too worn out worrying over other matters. I hope this heat dissipates soon. We're going to pick peaches tomorrow and I was given a bag of apples today that will need processed. Only going to pick one bucket of peaches I think. They're a little bit expensive for our budget and our freezer is going out so we'll have to can or make jelly and jam. We also have two trees full of apples and a tree full of pears to go pick at a friends house for free. For some reason inexplicable to us they don't use any of the apples or pears for anything. I guess we should just be thankful because it's free fruit for us and I'm sure our birds and turtles and rabbits will love us for all the peels and cores. Then Saturday is our daughter's birthday so I guess we'll be headed back to Stillwater and OKC to go out to dinner with the grandparents.

B Francis what are the jars in the bottom? Nice woodwork. Where did you get your incubator parts? Does haveing that big of glass door make it hard to keep the temp regulated? Will you be useing it as a combination hatcher/incubator? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get it all figured out so I can make one someday. Although I am sure it won't be as pretty a yours. Are you ready to go into the bator building business now!lol

Thanks for all the compliments, ya'all!

MJ, My 4 yo helped a lot...and my DW did the stain and urethane finish...other than that I did it by myself. Probably why it took so long.

Nanakat, the 12 pint jars have been "canned" to seal them. (a couple teaspoons of oxine to prevent cootie growth) They work as a "heat sink". The water inside heats up to incubator temps and helps maintain the heat to prevent temp fluctuations. By maintaining heat, the thermostat doesn't have to work as hard either. One last benefit, if there is a power outage, and we've had a few lately, it will help hold temps until the power comes back on.

Back
Top Bottom