Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The black ones are pullets and they lay HUGE eggs everyday. I have eight pullets and get eight eggs daily. I got real lucky with them. Some of the eggs from the blacks are larger than XL eggs from the store. They barely fit in the cartons.

Yep, that sounds like black sex-links. Evening Okies.

Henny-you aren't the only one out by yourself.
frow.gif

OH TEACH!!! Come out come out where ever you are!!! We have a surprise for you coming to the fall Poops, Dakota and I are making some MOUNTAIN DEW JELLY!!!! Yeah for real, may auction off a pint separate from the chicken jelly basket we are getting together for the auction!!!
TJ's Nana, I would love that Cranberry/Jalapeno jelly recipe, want to make some for the basket!!! Lynn

First off I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart, we did find Dakota and he is home safe for now, we talked to DHS Child Services today and they are setting up some counseling for us, will see where we go from here, we do all plan to be at the Poops, will figure out what else we are bringing besides Biscuits and let Sooner know. Thank you all so much for your concerns and prayers, please keep praying cause we aint through the fire yet. Loble to be some fat on the fire before we are done, but if God leads you to it he can lead you through it!!!! AMEN BROTHER !!! PREACH ON!!!! CAN I GET AN AMEN SOMEWHERE!!! Love ya all, Lynn
tongue.png

Barnswallow not sure if this answers your question but I got chicks brooding out in my shop sense Febuary and still got about 20 baby chickas out there. When its hot like this I just put a regular 100watt light bulb in the brooder and they seem to do fine. I keep my shop door open to help with the temps. After chicks hatch here they cant stay in the house, wife doesnt like it. I think you chicks would do fine with the temps you listed.

I tried misters 2 years ago..Right off the bat, they blew apart..Had to wire the spouts to keep them on..The following year, they blew again, so I just went back to spraying with the hose..Today I put up a small fan and used a hand mister borrowed from my greenhouse, since I have only 4 chickens and they are all close together..

Quote:
I keep chicks in a brooder in my office in the house until they are two weeks old. After two weeks I move the chicks to the brooder in the barn. It took me a day of placing thermometers in different places to find the best spot, temperature wise, with adequate ventilation. I keep two thermometers near the brooder just in case one fails. I check the temperature when I water and feed, and so far I haven't lost any chicks to temperature extremes. I have a fan in the barn for days when the temperature goes over 100 degrees. Keeping the air moving can reduce the temperature quite a bit.

I have a screen of heavy hex netting over the top of the brooder to keep out stray cats and nosy raccoons. I stacked empty pop cans with rocks in them around the brooder. I figured if a raccoon did attempt to get up on the table where the brooder is, he'd be frightened by the noise created by the falling pop cans, and it would also alert the dog.

I bought a mister at the beginning of the summer and it lasted about 3 weeks until it blew to pieces why I dont know but it did, so I went to Atwoods an bought a yard sprinkler system it mainly consists of 3 pieces of water hose about 2 foot long and 3 sprinkler heads, what is nice is that I can turn one head down to a very very fine mist and the others I can set outside in the run and let them play in it, it is funny to watch them play in the sprinkler heck I even got out there today and played it was HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok guys the secret to using misters is to have a pressure reducer and an in-'line filter like for a drip irrigation system. If you can get an adjustable pressure regulator. And the filter is to keep the nozzles clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom