Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Here's my mama with a few of her chicks (it's hard getting a shot of everyone, someone is always hiding in mama's wings):

61128_100_7639.jpg

She's doing pretty well so far. We have moved them into a little broody house within the coop and the babies are eating and drinking. It's hard to believe my adults were ever that teeny!

If she's small that maybe too many you'll just have to watch and see. Congrats on the Broody she sure is a pretty thing. keep us updated.
jumpy.gif

what a sweet picture Aks, I know what you mean about size.

Last edited:
At what point, generally, do most mamas want to take their babies out of the coop? Should I leave the door to the broody box open? They are so small, I know they would wander out and the adults have been eyeing them like they would peck them if they could. I know mama will do her best to protect them, but I don't want them to get hurt. I hate leaving her locked up, even though she seems content. She's got food and water and is pooping. . .

about the second day mine have been bringing them out. I have some game hens and they have been tolerant of the chicks and they are the ones I was worried about. My hen that hatched one yesterday I will leave closed up today but tomorrow I'll give her the choice. Even the 2 roos are very tolerant of the chicks. Best just to watch them when first letting them out.

Last edited:
I have a another broody. She went broody a month ago, but it was 2 days after ms.Fuzzy went broody, so I broke her, and let Ms. Fuzzy sit.
She has been sitting on eggs for 14 days now. IDK what breeds she has in her, BYCers have suggested Dorking(she has 5 toes) and/or OEGB, but she lays a medium cream egg, and all her chicks that I've hatched out are banty sized. They can almost walk under their 1/2 siblings(different hen).

She started out with 7 eggs, but found one broken the other day, 2 BR and 5 mutt eggs.

Here's a picture of her after I pushed her off the nest to check the eggs
72239_42311_036.jpg

hey farmer Chef, glad to have ya come aboard. Congrats on the broody, she doesn't look to happy about you knocking her off her nest. keep us updated on how it all goes.
thumbsup.gif

also wanted to tell ya'll my broody that had non fertile eggs under her now has 2 Bantam eggs under her so we'll see if she's willing to sit another 21 days. I will be feeding her mealworms for extra protein, and she has ate today so very thankful for that.

Last edited:
very sweet stony, have you seen any snakes yet or is it still pretty cool up your way? We had a big blk snake about a week ago, but today and yesterday a little too cool I hope for them to be out. Thats my biggest worry, We have alot of blk snakes. Your Sumatra reminds me of my game hen the way she carries herself. very pretty hen.

I love seeing the pics of all the happy mama
love.gif
We set 7 eggs( Red Rock) from the auction under our very own Mama Rosie. they are due in 11 days. Just happy to have a broody banty hen as last fall the owl pegged off our 2 banty mamas that go broody in the spring
hit.gif
Good luck to all the beautiful mama hens and their chicks
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom