Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I am definitely experiencing some pre coop building angst, so some support/feedback would be appreciated. My current coop is too small to work with broody hens.I can't walk into it. I can't decide or commit to a permanent coop location and would like to keep my flock of 20 (2 roosters and 18 hens) together. So a shed type, "fresh air" coop on skids, that can be pulled by my pickup, is what I am designing. There will be three skids, one running down the middle of the coop which may be as large as 10 by 14. And I have been told that I need spacer bars/blocks in between the skids to keep the skids in line. Each skid would be 2 2by4's attached and of course cut an anlges on the ends. I might use 2 by 6's. Problem - for new born chicks the skids would be barriers. Turned on edge that is 3.5 inches high, of course higher if I use 2 by 6's. I know putting a floor in the coop solves the problem, but I don't want that either. I envision temporary ramps over the skids that the chicks can't figure out. I know this sounds crazy. I know mom's call must be very compelling, but how old would a chick have to be before they can hop up and navigate 3.5 inch tall barriers.

Thanks for listening.

Mark
I can only walk in 1 of my 8 coops that currently have chickens or ducks in them. 3 of the unable to walk in coops had multiple broody hatches in them. One had 4 last year, another 3. Can't walk in them.

Shoot, I just started a thread when I should have posted my question here but I am going to repost them here sorry if anyone wasted there time reading both.

Once a hen goes broody how long do you have to order and have eggs delivered...do you ever get a shipment of eggs after the hen changes her mind?

How do you coordinate a hen hatching her own fertile eggs with eggs you are getting from outside sources. I mean if she lays fertile eggs on Monday goes broody on Tuesday and I order eggs from someone on Wednesday will her eggs be viable when those eggs arrive several days later?? Or should I just plan on any broody mamas hatching either their own OR others' eggs.

Thank you!
my silkie was broody for over a month before i put eggs under her. she has been on the fertile ones in a seperate cage for 4 days so i hope she will sit until they hatch. but it could also depend on the breed because some, like silkies, are more perssistent

What breeds do you like and are available?

what are you looking for in an adult chicken?
color of eggs?
friendliness?
beauty?
produtivity?
egg or meat or dual?
broodiness capabilities or lack thereof?
hardiness?
What I'm looking for is your opinions.lol. But I have some Minorca's and WLH's around my way as well as Wyndottes (Gold & Sliver & blue, red) and Araucana's. But I can almost get any breed from shipping.

Back
Top Bottom