Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I grew up in Collinsville so I knew what the Temps are like. I am in louisiana now and it is worse than st Louis. I don't let hen set during the summer months cause it is way to hot and humid. Even the newly hatched chicks just get a heat lamp at night.

Do you have a thermometer in the coop to know exactly how hot it is getting? That could explain alot
Yes, I have a thermometer in there. It usually doesn't get over 80. When it does is when I put the frozen water bottles in there to try to cool it off a bit. I haven't seen any of the broodies panting or looking heat distressed.

Here's Puffin, almost a month old now. Very long in the leg like her BCM father, I'm beginning to wonder if she is a he....
idunno.gif

And here is my newest little puff, born sometime today and two or more on the way under mom. There is a good possibility that this new one is a BCM/Chantecler cross. Anyone with this combo out there?

Ok question chicken friends, I have let momma and her 7 chicks with the others. Momma having a heck of a time teaching them how to use the ladder to get back in the house. Whew! Chicks are almost 2 weeks old now and have been fed the medicated chick starter feed. But now the big hens want to eat their food. Is there a feed for all of them and are they old enough for it now?

Ok question chicken friends, I have let momma and her 7 chicks with the others. Momma having a heck of a time teaching them how to use the ladder to get back in the house. Whew! Chicks are almost 2 weeks old now and have been fed the medicated chick starter feed. But now the big hens want to eat their food. Is there a feed for all of them and are they old enough for it now?

put a enclosure/ box that only chicks can get in, and hang the layer feed is what I did
eta; is the ramp wide and have cleats? you might add rails too

Last edited:
Yes it's not actually a ladder but a ramp with ridges. We used pieces of floor molding for the ridges. She at first tried to teach them how to fly in the door but realized they weren't getting it. So then she changed strategy and started walking up and down the ladder ramp. It was pretty amazing to watch.

Yes it's not actually a ladder but a ramp with ridges. We used pieces of floor molding for the ridges. She at first tried to teach them how to fly in the door but realized they weren't getting it. So then she changed strategy and started walking up and down the ladder ramp. It was pretty amazing to watch.
As far as the feed goes, it won't hurt the older birds to eat the medicated feed. The level of medication is not enough to be harmful if it is passed to eggs (even if you are going to eat the eggs). However, you will need to offer oyster shell to the older girls because they won't get enough calcium from the chick starter rations. You could also feed them all an "all flock" feed. You just don't want to feed the chicks the egg layer rations because it has too much calcium for them & could lead to problems. (Although I have seen people post that they feed their chicks egg layer rations & claim to not have any problems.) The extra calcium is suppose to cause an excess build up of calcium in the chick which then leads to an earlier death of the bird (from what I've heard/read).

Back
Top Bottom