Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I also had a broody attack her babies, about 3 1/2 weeks ago. In retrospect, it may have been the fact that I got extra babies from the hatchery when very few of the ones she sat on hatched (3 out of 12 chicks and 4 of 4 keets). One of the keets was wounded a few days before the new babies came, but I'm not sure anymore that was mom - keet may have gotten her head stuck in the wire. But then momma wounded a silkie, and I witnessed her pecking at everyone else, very hard, amazed no one else was seriously hurt.
Fortunately we were having an exceptionally hot summer this year (this is the only good thing about it!) so we could leave the babies outside in their hutch (which is inside a coop) with no extra heat. Now, 3 weeks after removing mom, the babies are out of the hutch with free run of their coop, and every morning momma heads straight for them, clucks at them through the wire, drops food through for them, and is generally the best mom possible as long as she's not able to hurt them. I feel bad sometimes that we took her away since she obviously wants to be their mom. But we couldn't risk it with her hurting them.
I think part of the problem is it was her first time broody and I gave her too many eggs (20). Plus, she had 7 babies for a few days, then suddenly had 12 more (I only ordered 10 more, they sent 2 extra, but 10 more was probably still too many). Next time I'll give her somewhat fewer eggs (though it's tough when so few hatched to know if next time I should set fewer eggs - maybe there will be a better hatch rate when it's not so blazing hot? Then will it be too many? Tough to say.) But anyway, now I know better than to give too many chicks to a first-time broody.
Good luck, it's hard to say exactly what is the right thing to do sometimes, you just have to wing it.
idunno.gif

Quote:
So true!

Our chicks are in the process of hatching now! Momma seems to be doing a great! So far one is out and moving around, a couple more are zipping. I think there was at least one more had pipped, but she's hanging pretty tight to the nest so it's hard to tell.

Quote:
So true!

Our chicks are in the process of hatching now! Momma seems to be doing a great! So far one is out and moving around, a couple more are zipping. I think there was at least one more had pipped, but she's hanging pretty tight to the nest so it's hard to tell.

Waiting for pictures ....

Congratulations and good luck on the hatch
jumpy.gif

Been out hunting crickets and earth worms. Broody mama is getting lazy cuz she knows I'll bring the goodies to her to hand out to the kids. She doesn't need to bother leaving the safety of the coop.
hu.gif

Day 6:
Have given AliceAnn some scrambled egg, each day for the past 2. She is getting up to eat a little feed and have a drink (not that I have seen it, but I can tell). Still no poo...ewww...
Found evidence of an egg having been eaten, outside the nest, and am wondering if she already knew it wasn't viable and removed it, or if it broke and she ate it...just not sure.
I checked the other eggs beneath her, and they all seem fine, if a little sticky-seeming. Might just be the damp, warm space they all occupy, under her.
so, 13 eggs remain, and she is still happily, diligently "shuffling" the others from side to side beneath her (turning the eggs?) and sort of purring to herself.
She no longer attacks me every time I stick a mit in her pen, but I think this has more to do with the lovely treats I bring her, than an increased comfort level with my presence.
Going to continue to leave her to her own broody devices. Except for today's rude peek under at the remaining eggs, I have left her entirely alone.
Thanks for being here, it is a real comfort to me to read everyone else's stories, and feel connected to the broody-hatching community!
Brightest Blessings!

Rachel'sFlock :

Day 6:
Have given AliceAnn some scrambled egg, each day for the past 2. She is getting up to eat a little feed and have a drink (not that I have seen it, but I can tell). Still no poo...ewww...
Found evidence of an egg having been eaten, outside the nest, and am wondering if she already knew it wasn't viable and removed it, or if it broke and she ate it...just not sure.
I checked the other eggs beneath her, and they all seem fine, if a little sticky-seeming. Might just be the damp, warm space they all occupy, under her.
so, 13 eggs remain, and she is still happily, diligently "shuffling" the others from side to side beneath her (turning the eggs?) and sort of purring to herself.
She no longer attacks me every time I stick a mit in her pen, but I think this has more to do with the lovely treats I bring her, than an increased comfort level with my presence.
Going to continue to leave her to her own broody devices. Except for today's rude peek under at the remaining eggs, I have left her entirely alone.
Thanks for being here, it is a real comfort to me to read everyone else's stories, and feel connected to the broody-hatching community!
Brightest Blessings!

fl.gif
thinking all good thoughts for a BRILLIANT hatch
fl.gif

Good luck
thumbsup.gif

Hi all. BarnGoddess, once again your pictures are just lovely! Rachel'sFlock, I'm glad everything is going well for you. Having experienced my first broody poo all I can say is stand back and have a lavender scented hankie nearby.
lol.png
Whew! TexGardenGirl, hope all went great for the hatch. x2 on pics.
I candled mine yesterday, day 10, the first time I'd ever candled. The first 3 were clear so I wasn't even sure that I was doing things correctly. Then I held up the next one and both DD and I got excited when we saw how dark it was. All in all it looks like we have 4 somethings, 3 nothings and 1 possible. How that for scientific?
wink.png
I may do it again in a couple of days just to peek because it was really neat plus my DS didn't get a chance to see and is bummed about it. Anyone have any advice on taking out clear eggs or just leaving them? I'd like to just let things progress in the way that nature deems right but I also don't want to experience any exploding eggs. Ugh!

Still sending out good hatching vibes to all who are waiting...

Quote:
I would deffinately take out the clear ones: Mamma hen will be more comfortable id she doesn't have to be quite such a pancake.
thumbsup.gif

Also, and more importantly, they can explode if they go off!!!!
ep.gif
You really don't want your healthy babies absorbing dead smelly stuff !!!
old.gif

Good luck!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom