Old Grit...is it ok to use

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
I am going to be getting 3 baby chicks again after 2 years. I have some MannaPro Chick Grit left that is dated Made: Mar 8, 2021. Do you think it's still ok to use? The bag was previously opened but I've kept it sealed and dried. I contacted MannaPro to ask but no response. What do you think? If there is a possibility that it's gone 'bad', I definitely don't want to risk it.

I am going to be getting 3 baby chicks again after 2 years. I have some MannaPro Chick Grit left that is dated Made: Mar 8, 2021. Do you think it's still ok to use? The bag was previously opened but I've kept it sealed and dried. I contacted MannaPro to ask but no response. What do you think? If there is a possibility that it's gone 'bad', I definitely don't want to risk it.
Grit is just rocks. As long as it's not moldy, I say use it

While I agree with the other posters.. I happen to know that the mannapro chick grit says it's formulated with probiotics..

I still think it's safe as long as nothing seems off (look, smell).. worse case.. the probiotics are not as effective as they *may* have been. That's not the same thing as gone bad.

To be clear.. I recently used mine from about that long ago.. noting I don't usually buy grit but bring in some from outside.. but bought the grit to be used for chicks vaccinated against Marek's still under quarantine.

I just checked.. my bag is from 2020.. it also has vegetable oil in the ingredients.. which could go rancid.. but that's off flavor not poisoin or harmful.

Always use YOUR best judgement!

I happen to know that the mannapro chick grit says it's formulated with probiotics..
You learn something new every day I have never used mannapro products but that is the first time I have seen things like that added to grit. I always buy in bulk and have had bags for many years without any issues.

You learn something new every day I have never used mannapro products but that is the first time I have seen things like that added to grit. I always buy in bulk and have had bags for many years without any issues.
It's possible they have other products on offer. That was the only one available in store at my local TSC at the time. Check out this list of ingredients..

"Ingredients : Grit, vegetable oil, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried pediococcus acidiactici fermentation product, dried lactobacillus brevis fermentation product, and dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product."

If you've seen the movie idiocrasy, it wasn't good in particular but makes a good point.. people trying to grow crops with gatoraid essentially.. is almost the world we live in now. :rolleyes: You know added electrolytes is the only way to hydrate.. what's water for! And of course you can;t digest anything without ADDED probiotics. (which also happen to be added to a lot of feeds, marketing much!) :p

Sorry for that mini rant..
Rocks.. uhm rock! :thumbsup

@EggSighted4Life I have always used this it comes in all different sizes nothing but granite
Gran-O-Grit__50_lb._bag__97443.1299613424.1280.1280_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Last edited:
It's possible they have other products on offer. That was the only one available in store at my local TSC at the time. Check out this list of ingredients..

"Ingredients : Grit, vegetable oil, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried pediococcus acidiactici fermentation product, dried lactobacillus brevis fermentation product, and dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product."

If you've seen the movie idiocrasy, it wasn't good in particular but makes a good point.. people trying to grow crops with gatoraid essentially.. is almost the world we live in now. :rolleyes: You know added electrolytes is the only way to hydrate.. what's water for! And of course you can;t digest anything without ADDED probiotics. (which also happen to be added to a lot of feeds, marketing much!) :p

Sorry for that mini rant..
Rocks.. uhm rock! :thumbsup
Wow you are right I just read our package. I don't even know what these ingredients are!

Attachments

• 20230211_135420.jpg
    20230211_135420.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom