Older chickens going gray?

Do you know what breed or mix of breeds he is?? I would love to breed one just like him.
I don't think that its really anything to worry about. Is he getting whiter as he molts because he could be part Speckled Sussex and if that is the case then they do get whiter each time they molt or lose feathers - they come back even whiter.
I am thinking that could be the answer you are looking for! :)
He is a Black Copper Maran- I am not aware of any mixture and he and his hens have always looked like textbook pictures of the breed. Thanks for the information- that makes me feel better. :thumbsup

Yep.
This hen turned 3 this year, change happened last year at the age of 2. The mother also changed last year, she's about 5 now.
View attachment 3698653MotherView attachment 3698654The mother has more offspring, but only the cockerels have changed color so far. They'll be a year next spring.
View attachment 3698660
Bad picture.View attachment 3698664View attachment 3698668
Beautiful! I'm so happy to see other chickens have had this same thing happen to them. The only hope I had was because it was happening to a few other hens so it probably wasn't a disease. Thanks!

Beautiful! I'm so happy to see other chickens have had this same thing happen to them. The only hope I had was because it was happening to a few other hens so it probably wasn't a disease. Thanks!
Thanks. What I'm dealing with seems genetics related. Also extra nutrients seems to have an influence on the color change.

Well, could be Vitiligo, an autoimmune disease, which also has genetic component to it. It's a possibility.

But could be an oddball old man chicken :lol: .

Thanks. What I'm dealing with seems genetics related. Also extra nutrients seems to have an influence on the color change.

Well, could be Vitiligo, an autoimmune disease, which also has genetic component to it. It's a possibility.

But could be an oddball old man chicken :lol: .
Since the Wyandottes also are getting gray feathers, I'm assuming it isnt an autoimmune disease. What would be the odds of that happening? I'm voting oddball old man chicken! 😆

Since the Wyandottes also are getting gray feathers, I'm assuming it isnt an autoimmune disease. What would be the odds of that happening? I'm voting oddball old man chicken! 😆
What do you feed? Sometimes feed with lower quality shows up in older molting birds, lower nutrition would result in pale, or lack of pigmentation in new feathers. Termed old age related depigmentation.

Back
Top Bottom