Olive Egger - Isbar x BCM

Ya, that darn waiting game, lol. Do your Marans lay really dark eggs?
This group (#1) lays a respectably dark egg...not as dark as I'm expecting from group #2 (not yet to POL), but these girls lay regularly. :D

This was from the OE hatch in progress:

918C3E02-E94C-42CF-8383-9CA7FAA384D8.jpeg

It's "hatching day" (day 21) for the OE eggs, safely ensconced in their hatching basket (to keep them separate from the SB eggs also in the hatcher). I haven't seen any pips yet, though eggs have moved around as the chicks get into hatching position. The wait may be the worst part...😣

I couldn't find any threads on this cross. It didn't sound like a whole lot of people use this cross for olive eggers but I'm not sure why not. Isbar's are the only straight combed green egg layer and seem to make good olive colored eggs when crossed with a dark brown layer. Anyone else have this cross? Any photos you have to share of the chickens or their eggs?

I obtained 5 hatching eggs from a local breeder with this cross and had my broody buff orpington hatch them in July.

The mom is a BCM and the dad could have been a black, splash or blue but it looks like the splash didn't make the cut because I ended up with 3 blues and 2 blacks. Have one of each boy and 3 girls. They look a lot more like Isbars than BCM.

This is a recent photo that shows the 2 boys and 2 blue girls at 20 weeks.

And here is the one black girl.

The two blue hens look identical. It's hard to tell them apart. One has a little more feathers on the legs. That's about the only way I can tell them apart.
Wow they are too cute! I’m speechless

I couldn't find any threads on this cross. It didn't sound like a whole lot of people use this cross for olive eggers but I'm not sure why not. Isbar's are the only straight combed green egg layer and seem to make good olive colored eggs when crossed with a dark brown layer. Anyone else have this cross? Any photos you have to share of the chickens or their eggs?

I obtained 5 hatching eggs from a local breeder with this cross and had my broody buff orpington hatch them in July.

The mom is a BCM and the dad could have been a black, splash or blue but it looks like the splash didn't make the cut because I ended up with 3 blues and 2 blacks. Have one of each boy and 3 girls. They look a lot more like Isbars than BCM.

This is a recent photo that shows the 2 boys and 2 blue girls at 20 weeks.

And here is the one black girl.

The two blue hens look identical. It's hard to tell them apart. One has a little more feathers on the legs. That's about the only way I can tell them apart.
That blue beauty!!! OMG!!! 😍😍😍

To bad I wasn't around 7 years ago. I just watched Isbar/ marans in Idaho..
Thank you for responding. Finding these guys on the West Coast is a challenge for sure. I am very, very reluctant to do the long distance mail order thing after a total disaster just recently. Oh well, my search continues. Thanks again.

Thanks! Will update as they grow...can't wait to see eggs, but that will take a bit. lol

Any updates on your chicks? I’m also going this cross (blue isbar roo over BCM hen) but unfortunately have two Roos and don’t have the set up for breeding pens. My other roo is silver laced Barnevelder so it’s a guessing game of who’s the daddy when they hatch! So far they’ve looked very much like marans at hatch so I’m not sure what that means. I was hoping for more obvious blue traits to know it’s the Isbar dad making it an Olive Egger.

would love to see your pics to compare! Here’s a day old and 2 week old....did your chicks look more Isbar at hatch

Attachments

• 651627F2-A58A-402B-A0AD-71220E8B28A6.jpeg
    651627F2-A58A-402B-A0AD-71220E8B28A6.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 10
  • F029B0C5-2967-481E-ABFF-113720C56CB3.jpeg
    F029B0C5-2967-481E-ABFF-113720C56CB3.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 6
  • C824135C-032F-4BB9-ADBD-BC82AB859157.jpeg
    C824135C-032F-4BB9-ADBD-BC82AB859157.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 6
  • F1F78CDF-5A6A-4D5E-8115-FDE6F9F560E2.jpeg
    F1F78CDF-5A6A-4D5E-8115-FDE6F9F560E2.jpeg