Olive eggers

Tiffany541

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2017
Just hatched 6 baby chicks that are suppose to be olive egger.
Father is French black copper Maran
Mother is Cream Crested legbars and Ameraucana.

Has anyone ever crossed these breeds and if so do you have any pictures of the adults and there egg color.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20171003_194822.jpg
    20171003_194822.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 107
Congratulations on your hatch!

Did you set your own eggs? Or someone else's? Do you know for certain you are working with Ameraucana, or could it be EE (that makes a big difference).

Without knowing what feather color the Ameraucana/EE was, it is hard to tell what color your chicks should be. You'll need to include that for posters to be able to give you accurate input. You can get some interesting patterns with the half BCM, or simply BCM type colors.

Your matchings can produce chicks with black down or even partridge chipmunk, depending on what you use. (I get the most absolute gorgeous black base with gold penciling on my F1 Barnevelder-Cream Legbar girls...sorry no picture of those...who started out as chipmunks).

Unless that is photo flash, it appears you have 1 CL/BCM boy with a head dot.

As I'm sure you are aware, if you used a true Ameraucana (and not and EE) and a true Cream Legbar, you will pretty much be guaranteed some shade of green eggs in the hens (assuming no odd genetic fluke).

If your Ameraucana is an EE, you have a statistical chance of getting 50% brown eggs (possibly on the darker brown tone due to dad's genes) and 50% green/olive eggs.

Your chicks from CL won't present their crests until about 8 weeks or so when those little head crests will pop up. I find them to be pretty dominant.

On the other hand, I find the BCM leg feathering (if you are using French style) to only be about 50% carried down. I get about half clean legged.

Your home brew EE (BCM/Ameraucana) should have pea combs and muffs. Leg color eludes me yet, as I get colors I don't expect. You may get grey or green.

If that is EE mom/BCM, then those muffs seem to drop out. Leg color varies more as well. Combs should still be pea, but can have some oddity to them.

I'm sorry I can't give you photos of that exact matching as I am working with Splash Marans/Barnevelder and Cream Legbar/Barnevelder and now my F2's (and I was horrible at taking photos that F1 summer)

I can give you an idea of egg colors. One hen I work with is an F1 Isbar/Marans which lays a pretty olive egg. I bred her to my Barnevelder and produced F2 Isbar/Marans-Barnevelders which lay shades of olive.

I'll post my home brew olive egger "chart" below which I set up to show another thread who was questioning the occurrence of olive egger color.

You can also see what happens with the brown genes to a certain degree. How much of those pass down from your boy will obviously vary the results.

Keep us posted with photos at their progress :D

LofMc

100_0709.JPG

I'm going to assume my Ameraucana hens are probably really EE, I'll attached photos of mothers and Father. I had a brooch hen that hatched all six chicks for me. I know for sure the CL are purebred. I was wondering about the chick with the white dot on its head if that was a Rooster but I thought that was only with sexlink? But I'm new into the chicken world only been raising them for 2 years and still learning.
All of the babies have feathered legs-feet, 1 has chickmunk cheeks, and the 1 has a white spot on its head. The EE eggs were hard to tell apart from the CL eggs cause they were both really blue. But I know I have both for sure, I'll probably have to wait for chicks to get older to tell which is which.
Thank you so much for your response, I'm learning alot!

Attachments

• 20171002_111631.jpg
    20171002_111631.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20170929_082547.jpg
    20170929_082547.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20170724_084313.jpg
    20170724_084313.jpg
    862 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170721_174654.jpg
    20170721_174654.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20170721_174912.jpg
    20170721_174912.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170724_084028.jpg
    20170724_084028.jpg
    634 KB · Views: 57
With those pairings...if you used only the BCM rooster over CL or EE hens, then...

Yes the chick with the white dot will be male as you have a non-barred rooster over a barred CL hen.

Barring can happen without sex linking if the dad is barred and the mother isn't...all chicks are barred...or if, of course, you breed a barred to a barred.

But in this case, the BCM x CL will produce sex links....boys with a white head dot, solid girls.

LofMc

With those pairings...if you used only the BCM rooster over CL or EE hens, then...

Yes the chick with the white dot will be male as you have a non-barred rooster over a barred CL hen.

Barring can happen without sex linking if the dad is barred and the mother isn't...all chicks are barred...or if, of course, you breed a barred to a barred.

But in this case, the BCM x CL will produce sex links....boys with a white head dot, solid girls.

LofMc
Will the BCM x CL be olive eggers? And also, all the solids will be pullets and the one with the white dot will be a Cockerel?

Will the BCM x CL be olive eggers? And also, all the solids will be pullets and the one with the white dot will be a Cockerel?

Yes...they should be olive eggers...of course depends upon how deep of brown the BCM rooster carries.

My Barnevelder/CL crosses have created beautiful olive (of course I sold all those off...I regret not keeping some back...especially since I lost the CL hens to a raccoon...starting over this year :/

And yes...with that cross BCM rooster over a pure CL hen....you will get solid pullets (black) and black boys with a white head dot.

LofMc

phew i have to say my head is spinning! this was a very interesting thread as im thinking about trying to cross my own as well. but i have to say i certainly have a ton more research to do!! apparently! haha

my big question right now is the F1 & F2. what does this mean i keep seeing it in articles ive been reading but have no idea. but what im guessing is that it will take two sets of breeding to see results? or will the first set of offspring lay close to the colors we are attemping to achieve. i apologize if my question is a obvious one?

phew i have to say my head is spinning! this was a very interesting thread as im thinking about trying to cross my own as well. but i have to say i certainly have a ton more research to do!! apparently! haha

my big question right now is the F1 & F2. what does this mean i keep seeing it in articles ive been reading but have no idea. but what im guessing is that it will take two sets of breeding to see results? or will the first set of offspring lay close to the colors we are attemping to achieve. i apologize if my question is a obvious one?

F1 and F2 refers to generations. F1 being first gen, f2 being offspring of f1 etc etc

Back
Top Bottom