Omega-3 eggs***Fish Meal Feed

Quote:
I don't know about pumpkin seed, but flax you can get through Countryside Natural or even suppliers of "people" food. McMurray sells it, but their prices always seem sky high on feed items, especially since they no longer include shipping in the price.

What percentage of the weight of their daily feed is flax, in their diet? I'd be interested to know what percentage you are feeding, compared to the recommendations, while not having a flavor problem with the eggs.

My understanding with off flavors in eggs related to diet, is that the flavor isn't necessarily the same as that of the food that's causing the problem. It's just not good.
sickbyc.gif

I put fish meal in my feed i have made at the feed mill and poultry nutri-balancer ,I get all of my suppliment from my local Fertrell dealer if you go on Fertrells web site they have a list of dealers I think in every state and you can look at their feed rations ,if im correct that is where Countryside gets their suppliment from.

Aaron

Quote:
Am just wondering how much of that would be a wive's tale, as far as a fishy smell from flax seeds-especially if you take fresh, refrigerated flaxseed oil, it tastes nutty, not fishy. My guess is that the original article from which that information was taken from decided to clump the two together in a catagory, trying to downplay the benefits of omega 3 eggs. In fact I'm guessing that perhaps the original place that "did the studies" for this were probably regular commercial operations, trying to give a reason for buying their lower nutrition eggs! My 24 chickens eat about 2 1/2 cups of flax seeds per day and we have yet to have a "fishy" tasting egg.

I read it on here.
smile.png

Quote:
Am just wondering how much of that would be a wive's tale, as far as a fishy smell from flax seeds-especially if you take fresh, refrigerated flaxseed oil, it tastes nutty, not fishy. My guess is that the original article from which that information was taken from decided to clump the two together in a catagory, trying to downplay the benefits of omega 3 eggs. In fact I'm guessing that perhaps the original place that "did the studies" for this were probably regular commercial operations, trying to give a reason for buying their lower nutrition eggs! My 24 chickens eat about 2 1/2 cups of flax seeds per day and we have yet to have a "fishy" tasting egg.

I read it on here.
smile.png

Yeah, well, you know how those BYCers are
wink.png

-C

Quote:
I buy mine from Azure Standard, it is a co-op, much of their food is quite a bit lower priced than what we can get it for up here. Have been very happy with this company.

Quote:
Lol!!! Well, the eggs don't taste like flax seeds!!!!!
gig.gif
But they sure make great tasting Omega 3 eggs!!!!
celebrate.gif
Awww!! Come on now-where's the nutrition lover in ya, Wifezilla!!!
lau.gif
Don't tell me we differ in opinion on this one!!!!
th.gif
Come on now! That just won't do!!!! (Actually I can't stand taking liquid flaxseed oil, either, even if the really fresh stuff tastes nutty! That's why I take it in gel caps, but I definitely refrigerate it to keep it fresh so it tastes nutty!!!) Keeps me healthy so I can learn about chickens on BYC!!!
wee.gif

Quote:
I have flax seed, how much do you feed them?

I give them (all organic) 1 part flax seeds, 1 part sunflower seeds, 1 part pumpkin seeds, 1 part dried coconut chips, 1 part dehulled barley, 3 parts spelt grain, 3 parts alfalfa pellets, 2 parts dried corn, 1 part oatmeal, 2 parts hard winter wheat, 3 parts layer pellets, 1 part layer crumbles (I have a very small banty english game hen, all the way up to a 2 1/2 ft. tall lt. Brahma rooster in my coop) I mix these up in a large container with a lid, and give 1/4 of it 4 times per day. I also give them layer pellets free choice, and free choice: kelp, dried molasses, cayenne, a mineral supplement, dried comfrey, dried parsley, oyster shell grit and granite grit, and I also add raw apple cider vinegar to their water.

This is put in a 3 gallon container (I think) they get the whole thing each day plus the free choice stuff, so I'm not quite sure exactly how much layer feed they eat per day. This amount is for 24 chickens. I am guessing probably about a gallon of layer pellets is eaten as well, give or take, depending on how much fresh stuff comes from the kitchen that day. Hope this was helpful-WoodlandWoman.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom