OMG! My duck has been mutilated!

I cannot understand why anyone would get ducklings/ducks or any other domesticated animal and not have a way to keep them  safe especially at night. it doesn't take much in the way of wood to make a safe house for your ducks like was mentioned pallets can work as building material At the Lowes closest to us they have stacks of pallets behind their store and I have seen people loading pallets up into their pick up trucks..Add a few widows covered in hardware cloth and a door than can be locked and they are safe. if you cannot do this please find  them a home where they can be kept safe. What your doing now by leaving them outside is just giving what ever mutilated  the first one more to do the same to. How awful for those poor ducks.    @adroit14

some people just don't know that you have to keep them up at night.

@adroit14 , please do keep the surviving ducks somewhere safe. Predators return. And since you are working on it, they will only need temporary shelter somewhere like a utility room or some other secure, relatively clean space.

I finished it! I see why my story sounds unbelievable. But I went to home depot and got chicken wire, wooden steaks, and staples. I started at 6 and just ended and I have pics to proof it. The ducks are now in and now I need to wait until morning. I heard and saw tons of mice since we live in the lake.

adroit14, I know you are working on it - - - the chicken wire won't keep a larger determined predator out. Not one layer of chicken wire, anyway. It's for keeping birds in, not protecting them from predators. Raccoons will reach right through the chicken wire. I am trying to help you avoid more losses.
hugs.gif

adroit14, I know you are working on it - - - the chicken wire won't keep a larger determined predator out. Not one layer of chicken wire, anyway. It's for keeping birds in, not protecting them from predators. Raccoons will reach right through the chicken wire. I am trying to help you avoid more losses.
hugs.gif
Do you know what that might have been that killed the Rouen? there was no blood and the bones were completely clean.

No, you did not waste your time and money. You made a very good start. Two or three feet of metal half inch hardware cloth around the bottom of the chicken wire and you should be in good shape, as long as nothing can dig under the fence.

It's a steep learning curve.

Back
Top Bottom