Bettyboop7499

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 25, 2018
Traverse City, MI
I washed of some August eggs which are also the first of my eggs and I noticed this one was floating...I believe it is important to educate myself as much as possible so instead of just tossing I opened to see what the "egg" looked like. I noticed I could hear or feel jiggling when I shook the egg. Totally wasn't expecting this!:sick

IMG_0599.JPG

I didn't do anything to it it came out like this! I was told of the floating test by again a awesome BYC member-definitely works! But what about the ones that are not floating but are on end not their sides? Is it risky business? Will I be like one eye open hoping nothing crawls out? These were the first eggs and beginning of August. I thought fresh eggs could stay unrefrigerated for months as long as not washed? Is this what a rotten egg looks like or is it a diseased egg? How long can they stay unwashed/unrefrigerated?
They also were not sitting in the hot sun everyday, cool place in kitchen.

I washed of some August eggs which are also the first of my eggs and I noticed this one was floating...I believe it is important to educate myself as much as possible so instead of just tossing I opened to see what the "egg" looked like. I noticed I could hear or feel jiggling when I shook the egg. Totally wasn't expecting this!:sick

View attachment 1518870

I didn't do anything to it it came out like this! I was told of the floating test by again a awesome BYC member-definitely works! But what about the ones that are not floating but are on end not their sides? Is it risky business? Will I be like one eye open hoping nothing crawls out? These were the first eggs and beginning of August. I thought fresh eggs could stay unrefrigerated for months as long as not washed? Is this what a rotten egg looks like or is it a diseased egg? How long can they stay unwashed/unrefrigerated?
They also were not sitting in the hot sun everyday, cool place in kitchen.
Always open eggs like that float in a zip lock bag.

Generally speaking, eggs will be good on the counter for three weeks or so. I collect the eggs until I have a good number--up to 5 days and then wash the dirty ones and put them into the refrigerator.

Eggs will go bad quite fast at room temperature if there is a crack that will let in bacteria.

But what about the ones that are not floating but are on end not their sides? Is it risky business? Will I be like one eye open hoping nothing crawls out? These were the first eggs and beginning of August. I thought fresh eggs could stay unrefrigerated for months as long as not washed? Is this what a rotten egg looks like or is it a diseased egg? How long can they stay unwashed/unrefrigerated?
AS far as I'm concerned... the float test is MOSTLY checking the size of the air cell that has developed. Though rotten ones should be putting off more gasses and floating higher like yours did. Otherwise, they should all have a little floating direction where the air cell is IMO.

Refrigerate them eggs! :old

Listen, while it is OK to leave eggs at room temp... the fact of the matter is they age an equivalent of 1 week per day on the counter compared to in the fridge. It SERIOUSLY impact the quality of egg within... the yolk and the white become runny. The whole point of having our own eggs aside from knowing how the birds were treated is to have fresh eggs that far surpass supermarket. In my fridge I have eaten eggs that were 6 months old and STILL on par with store eggs.

I have had some that were stored out on the counter for long periods of time... without turning... OK, back peddling here just a bit... left out long enough there is a lot of evaporation that actually makes the internal eggs thicker and sometimes the yolk will stick to the shell.

I think storing eggs on the counter is a novelty for chicken owners. If they aren't being eaten that day or very soon, I NOW choose to refrigerate. I NEVER EVER wash them, the bloom helps keep them fresher, longer.

The eggs I left out for long periods... the only ones that got rotten were ones that had their shell compromised in some way. A crack or toe nail poke... but I'm sure there could be porousness that effects it.

AS far as I'm concerned... the float test is MOSTLY checking the size of the air cell that has developed. Though rotten ones should be putting off more gasses and floating higher like yours did. Otherwise, they should all have a little floating direction where the air cell is IMO.

Refrigerate them eggs! :old

Listen, while it is OK to leave eggs at room temp... the fact of the matter is they age an equivalent of 1 week per day on the counter compared to in the fridge. It SERIOUSLY impact the quality of egg within... the yolk and the white become runny. The whole point of having our own eggs aside from knowing how the birds were treated is to have fresh eggs that far surpass supermarket. In my fridge I have eaten eggs that were 6 months old and STILL on par with store eggs.

I have had some that were stored out on the counter for long periods of time... without turning... OK, back peddling here just a bit... left out long enough there is a lot of evaporation that actually makes the internal eggs thicker and sometimes the yolk will stick to the shell.

I think storing eggs on the counter is a novelty for chicken owners. If they aren't being eaten that day or very soon, I NOW choose to refrigerate. I NEVER EVER wash them, the bloom helps keep them fresher, longer.

The eggs I left out for long periods... the only ones that got rotten were ones that had their shell compromised in some way. A crack or toe nail poke... but I'm sure there could be porousness that effects it.
Very Well said! (it is fine to wash the poo off of the dirty ones if there is a of it)

It's possible the egg had a small/hairline crack that you did not/could not see that allowed for bacteria to get in. This is not normal for an egg of this age. I once put a bunch of eggs in a pot of water to hard boil and one floated. When I held it up to the light bulb above the stove, sure enough it had a small crack. I'm glad I was able to pull it and toss it before cracking it open, it certainly could have been rotten inside as well.

It is actually illegal to sell washed/refrigerated eggs in Europe. The intent of the law is to enforce their rules about animal husbandry. Europe has more stringent rules on how laying hens are housed than the US does. Therefore, laying hens in the US have a higher likelihood of being exposed to salmonella since they are often raised in crowded conditions.

If your egg nests are clean and the hens live in clean conditions, then washing and refrigerating eggs is not needed. You can if you want, but it is not needed. If you have eggs that are dirty and you wash them, then it is recommended that you refrigerate them. Once and egg has been refrigerated, then it needs to stay refrigerated until it is used.

It is actually illegal to sell washed/refrigerated eggs in Europe. The intent of the law is to enforce their rules about animal husbandry. Europe has more stringent rules on how laying hens are housed than the US does. Therefore, laying hens in the US have a higher likelihood of being exposed to salmonella since they are often raised in crowded conditions.

If your egg nests are clean and the hens live in clean conditions, then washing and refrigerating eggs is not needed. You can if you want, but it is not needed. If you have eggs that are dirty and you wash them, then it is recommended that you refrigerate them. Once and egg has been refrigerated, then it needs to stay refrigerated until it is used.
I read that some of the rules have changed in Europe this year due do an outbreak of illness.

Here eggs are supposed to be washed if we sell them.

good and bad.gif
It is a very good point to work with the conditions you have. Here in the dry season eggs are very clean. During mud season, they track "mud" into the nest boxes so there are more dirty eggs. There are less eggs then though!

Back
Top Bottom