On the term "show quality"

Show quality has been thrown around so loosely now it's just not worth much.The truth is you can show anything but can you compete with it.

K&H Chicken Farm :

What I would like too see is if some one is selling from a "show line" is proof of it. Does the APA have list of who won what from year to year?

On another post(past) people were talking about poultry press. I have subscribed to that paper and plan to renew. They actually post photos of the winners of all the shows. If you want to know what lines are winning thats a good place to start. I enjoy the pub. Also lots of news in regaurds to the hobby. Clubs to join ect...
frow.gif

The problem with those types of publications is anyone can pay to get their info in there. Also, anyone can take a bird they bought to a show and win, but that doesn't guarantee they breed show quality. I guess as long as you make sure you know where the bird originated, you might be ok.

Hi Henry
I so totally 100% agree. This term is so over used.
Now, I am not accusing anyone here too. But, the term I would prefer to see is " exhibition ". that refers to the ability to enjoy your birds without dashing the hopes of those who show. I have some birds from a breeder who shows. Their nice birds, BUT, I do not even attempt to use the term "exhibition". I think a pic says it all. And as long as that breeder is giving pics of his birds, and not cutting and pasting someone elses birds, you (the buyer) should be able to know what your wanting for showing.
Another gripe I have along this subject. Is those who only have half their line from a single show bird. I too search EGGBID. And I see this all the time, someone who claims to have SQ, and all they have is one cockerel from a breeders show line. And they breed it back to their offspring. Thinking that is now producing show birds. This is why people cull to get that one outta 20 true show bird. Do your research. Find out who you trust, that is HONEST. Get referrals from those who have chicks from the SQ breeder. then make your decision.

So someone who is new to showing poultry and is trying to help a 4-Her get started

Should ask for chicks/eggs from exhibition stock

in order to get started with something better than a hatchery bird disqualification. We can still expect very few of the batch to be truly outstanding birds.

We don't want to offend, just want to avoid getting more pets we cannot hope to compete with at our local competition.

It is hard that the breed my son enjoys is seemingly so rare in the US.

Hi JoAnn,
Buy a trio from a reputable Exhibition breeder, and make sure you tell the breeder that you intend to show 4H. Most ALL good breeders, with a brain, will not give you garbage. They know you child will be asked " Where did you get your bird? ", and that breeder does not want a bad reputation.
Hatching eggs from an Exhibition breeder does not gaurantee you a bird worth showing. You will still need to have 20 chicks to assure you MIGHT get a worthy bird.
With a Trio you put yourself years ahead of the game. You should have a great flock within a couple of years. With eggs, it most probably will take years to get that quality level that you can buy with a trio.
Buying a trio, has more of an upfront cost, BUT, you will pay more in a feed bill to raise up 20 chicks to the point where you can identify who is the FH birds. I estimate like $1500 tp raise my 50 Buff Orps to maturity. That could be like 7 months with a Standard size bird. Buying a trio is just the best way for quicker results.
Good luck!

That's what I figured lildinkem, I am much obliged to all.

This year we are practicing our flock management before we take the plunge with expensive birds.

Thank you for your good wishes!

JoAnn, definitely do your research on the breeders in your area that have the breed you choose. Many times those breeders will give you a great deal on birds, if not flat out give you the birds. I know I had great success just being honest and wanting to increase the integrity of the breeds I choose to have. And had a President of a breed club let me borrow his Rooster. I am nervous about borrowing anybody's bird. But, on the other hand I just gained years in my breeding program. So, don't be afraid to call these big shot breeders and put your name out there.

Back
Top Bottom