one 4wk old Buckeye - Does she need a friend?

ShelleyBurch

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2015
We had a "rooster problem" (as in, I had the luck of picking 6 baby chicks and 4 of them turned out to be roosters), so, the roosters went to "live on Uncle Ryan's farm" and my dad's friend who raises chickens gave us 3 laying Leghorns and 1 4wk old Buckeye. The Leghorns actually integrated well with our two remaining Rhode Island hens, but I know I can't put the little one in with the big chickens just yet. So, we put her in a dog kennel covered in chicken wire inside the coop where she can see and hear the other chickens, but where they can't get to her and hurt her. My husband wondered if she would be ok in the pen all alone for a few weeks, or if we should see about getting a second chick about her age so she has someone to interact with. What do you think?

(I'm very new to backyard chickens so any and all advice would be appreciated.)

First off, I just wanted to say, I love buckeyes!
smile.png

She would be happiest with a friend, but the stress of introducing them just to have to introduce the two in with the big chickens may just cause problems. However, if you do get another chick, and the two bond, they will keep one another company even if the rest of the flock don't really except them.
If you do keep your buckeye alone, make sure it has treats to play with, time spent out exercising, and so is not too lonely or bored.

In the end, getting a friend will help in the long run. But its your own choice which way to go.

Best of luck!
thumbsup.gif

I got a second one and they have bonded well and seem happy. Now, crossing my fingers they are both really female...

I'm new to raising chickens and chicks myself. I have two broody mamas who have been hatching chicks. They rejected one and pecked it to death. Then another was born and they tried the same thing. But I was able to get her(him?) out of there before they hurt her. I do not understand this instinct that causes the mother to cull her own, I'm learning as I go. It is sad to see. But this baby is a doll! She's so smart. I names her,(again....him?) Hope. I was concerned for her that she was lonely. Especially being in my dog carrier,I separated her as well,in the coop with the others. Seeing them and hearing them. So, another was born and I was so greatful! I put them together. But the other has since passed. So here we are in the same predicament as you. We have such a heart for our fur babies. My husband and I decided adding a friend would not only help keep her warm,but be a companion as well. Chicks are very much attached to their mother and any other siblings in the first several weeks of their lives! So I strongly advise you to,yes,give her a buddy. I went on a chick mission yesterday. Couldn't find one baby and was so sad for my Hope. I did,however, end up finding a feed store that has day olds coming in the 30th! I've reserved 2 RIR's. I'm very happy that my baby will soon be bonding with siblings. Just as U.S. Humans,God designed us to need Him,and each other. We all need companionship. And I firmly believe animals are no different. I hope your baby strives! God bless.

I'm new to raising chickens and chicks myself. I have two broody mamas who have been hatching chicks. They rejected one and pecked it to death. Then another was born and they tried the same thing. But I was able to get her(him?) out of there before they hurt her. I do not understand this instinct that causes the mother to cull her own, I'm learning as I go. It is sad to see. But this baby is a doll! She's so smart. I names her,(again....him?) Hope. I was concerned for her that she was lonely. Especially being in my dog carrier,I separated her as well,in the coop with the others. Seeing them and hearing them. So, another was born and I was so greatful! I put them together. But the other has since passed. So here we are in the same predicament as you. We have such a heart for our fur babies. My husband and I decided adding a friend would not only help keep her warm,but be a companion as well. Chicks are very much attached to their mother and any other siblings in the first several weeks of their lives! So I strongly advise you to,yes,give her a buddy. I went on a chick mission yesterday. Couldn't find one baby and was so sad for my Hope. I did,however, end up finding a feed store that has day olds coming in the 30th! I've reserved 2 RIR's. I'm very happy that my baby will soon be bonding with siblings. Just as U.S. Humans,God designed us to need Him,and each other. We all need companionship. And I firmly believe animals are no different. I hope your baby strives! God bless.

Hello, and welcome to BYC! I'm so glad you could join us!

A momma that culls her own babies probably is a mix between a good broody breed and a poor one. Some broodies just want to sit on eggs but don't have the instinct to know what to do with chicks.
We had a kitten named Hope! I like the name. We also had a kitten named Miracle.

Best of luck getting your chick a buddy!
thumbsup.gif

Thank you for your advice. I do so appreciate it. One thing I didn't mention is that the two Broodies hang and are raising their chicks together. They actually share them. And seems like whenever a gray chick was born,they would reject it. But as long as it was a yellow one,no problem. And both of the mamas are guilty of the pecking resulting in death. I currently have one of those same Broodies setting on another clutch now! And I guess a part of me is reluctant to allow her to continue. Should I? And the eggs from the last two clutches as well as this current one are mixed eggs between all of my hens. They did that,not me! For some reason,they all want to lay in the exact same nest as the previous hen....... Should I try to break them of this,so I don't have different hens eggs? That result in different colored chicks...... Or do the moms even see the color difference? Idk like I mentioned before,I'm still a baby at this myself. I would love some ideas and different perspectives. Thank you kindly.

Birds have wonderful sight, many even better then people. They can see more colors then people as well. The coloring very well may be what is triggering the aggression.

I love cool names also!

I had a Smaug, because he was a red rooster. Sher Khan has a tigers personality as well as black and golden striping. Dominator was bossy as a teen bu now goes by Domni because he's a good big boy. Azul means "blue" in Spanish, and he is a blue silkie. Dastan looks like a prince, so I named him after the Prince of Persia.
Then there is Dodie. Her great grandfather was named Mr. Dottie and she is what I call my "Dalmatian bantam" a breed in the making. Dodie is the name of the author who wrote 101 Dalmatians. I thought it was cool how it was all tied together.
smile.png

Of course, then I have not so clever names like Goldie (she has golden eyes, her look-alike sister has brown), Sandy (she isn't even sandy colored), Long-legs (well, I think that explains it), and Bubs (the code for the breeds name and color).

My three RIRs are all called Deanie, as I can't tell them apart. They are the Deanies, a nick-name we use for people who are funny, pesky, or clumsy. They are all of the above!

I'm also trying to think of a name for the Buff Silkie I'm getting. My brother paid for him when I didn't have the money to. He gave $75 to pay for all 15 chicks and help pay for shipping. It was so wonderful, I'm thinking of naming by Buff, "Possible". Strange name I know, but I wanted it to be something that reminded me how I got her.

Best of luck finding a nice name for your bird!

Back
Top Bottom