One chicken sleeping outside at night but don't understand why

Hangie

Hatching
Mar 5, 2019
Hi,

I've got 5 ISA Browns that I've had for 2 years now. They have a large hen house and run, but they free range during the day. I've got 5 acres that they roam about on and they also visit the neighbour's property. I lock them up at night as we do have foxes in the area.

We lost one girl just before Christmas (egg bound and I was unable to help her). We lost another one last week (unknown reason, but probably egg bound too).

After the first chook died the egg count went from 4-6 per day to 1-2. That's now 1 since the other died. It's been summer with temperatures in the 30's to low 40's (Celsius of course).

Now I have one chicken that didn't return to the coop at night a few days back. She was at the door in the morning, but looking a bit puffy. Towards the afternoon she was barely moving about, hunched over. I caught her and have her a warm bath (assuming she was egg bound - no egg that day). I put her in a nest box to rest. Later she had left the box and was on the ground. I watched her and when I moved towards her she moved to the water station and had a drink. I made sure she was in the roost that night.

The next day she stayed close to the coop, but was moving about better. I put her in the roost that night.

Since then she has perked back up, but she isn't returning to the roost at night. She is often on her own and I've seen one of the others having a peck at her. The one that did has lost quite a few feathers prior to this. Two others pecked this one after she had a go at my lonely girl.

Sorry about the long story, but I thought it might help having some background. I need to find a way to get her to return to the coop at night or a fox will get her. She's been sleeping in the wood pile just outside the hen house, so she's returning to the area, but won't go in.

Hoping someone out there might have some suggestions to help.

Thanks.

Welcome to BYC!:frow

Feel free to ask questions, there are so many wonderful and knowledgeable people who will answer them!

If you haven't already, I would try to find a way to get some more chickens to keep her company. Chickens are flock birds and don't like to be alone. She probably feels alone and quite sad. I know for chicks if you keep a mirror and stuffed animals out there, they feel a bit better. Also, as others mentioned, just move her inside the coop. If she is sick, I recommend giving her a bit of yogurt to eat and olive oil if she is egg bound.

Best wishes!

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

We have a contest going on right now just for new folks like you. In order to enter you'll need to copy the link from your first post in this thread and post it in the contest thread.

To copy your link address, right click on the link to your thread and click copy or copy link
2019-02-09_16-09-54-jpg.1671012
then click on the following URL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-new-byc-members-win-a-byc-calendar.1287752/
Go down to where it says "write your reply..." tell us this is your entry and then click on the link button
2019-02-09_16-13-22-jpg.1671016

Paste your URL into the box and click "insert", then click "Post Reply".
2019-02-09_16-14-09-jpg.1671019

That's all there is to it. Once you've finished this, you're eligible to win a nice BYC Calendar.

Now I have one chicken that didn't return to the coop at night a few days back. She was at the door in the morning, but looking a bit puffy. Towards the afternoon she was barely moving about, hunched over. I caught her and have her a warm bath (assuming she was egg bound - no egg that day). I put her in a nest box to rest. Later she had left the box and was on the ground. I watched her and when I moved towards her she moved to the water station and had a drink.

Since then she has perked back up, but she isn't returning to the roost at night. She is often on her own and I've seen one of the others having a peck at her. The one that did has lost quite a few feathers prior to this. Two others pecked this one after she had a go at my lonely girl.

Sorry about the long story, but I thought it might help having some background. I need to find a way to get her to return to the coop at night or a fox will get her. She's been sleeping in the wood pile just outside the hen house, so she's returning to the area, but won't go in.
Welcome To BYC
Can you post some photos of your hen?
Did you feel inside her vent for a stuck egg?

Look her over for lice/mites and check to make sure her crop is empty in the morning.
While you are examining her closely, is she molting?
What do you normally feed her hens, including treats?

Not going inside when they normally would, could she be broody?
Losing members of the flock changes the pecking order, usually this works itself out after a few days. Isolating herself, you need to investigate her health further - if you can collect some of her poop for testing that would be good too.

Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

Sorry to hear about your losses. Hopefully, you can get your girl healed up.

Feel free to check out the links below for some interesting reading. Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom