One crazy arse idea about lighting

Right On Reds

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Okay so I got my new coop. It's very nice, but the inner sanctum isn't very tall, so I don't think it's conducive to having a regular light bulb for light/heat in the winter. Not enough head room.

I started thinking Xmas lights. Like a string of 35 of those little white lights. I could staple them to the roof, and cover with a mesh to keep the lil darlin's from pecking them. I could even easily adjust the number of lights, and it's easy as heck to put them on a timer. This way, they'd be relatively flush with the ceiling.

So am I crazy or can this really work?

Last edited:
It wont put off much heat. Chickens put off heat.It will add light I have solar ones in my goat barn.I bought another to put in the hen house and havent done it yet.

A string of the small christmas lights won't put off any meaningful amount of heat.

Where do you live? Just insulate real well -- walls and ceiling both, also floor if it is raised above the ground -- and maintain good ventilation (not blowing directly on the birds) so the air remains dry not humid, and you will be FINE unless you live somewhere exceptionally cold, meaning like literally -40 cold not just 'brr its cold out' cold.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Have you thought about the "tube" lighting. Kinda like the christmas lights, not pricey at all and they typically come with the hardware to mount it. I thought about using it myself because I liked the idea of no exposed bulbs.

I ended up going with a solar flood light instead, but I had plenty of room for it whereas you do not.

You could use a flat-panel thermostatically-controlled oil-filled heater...what a mouthful!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190298291443&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I just bought this one, and I had it in 2 days. It's less than an inch thick and has good thermal mass so it's consistent. It is very efficient and has a hole in the handle so you can hang it (I will). I'm very pleased with it and think it's just enough to augment the heat the chickens will produce. You can set the thermostat to whatever you choose. I got a deal, too!

air-n-water.com is where I got mine, through ebay.

Edited to add: You can't get enough light out of a solar system to augment hours of light for laying purposes. I used a hook shop-light with a compact fluorescent on a timer. The CF's lack of heat isn't a problem with the heat panel (I used a ceramic heat bulb last year) and the hook light is horizontal with screw-in hooks hanging it and its cord along the ceiling, so it's pointing down (shield side is pointing up) and giving lots of light. I have my timer set for 6:00 when winter comes on and let them go to bed with the light going off half hour after dusk- which will be as early as 4:30 at the worst of Winter. I let them get less than the optimum length of light because I want them to be healthy, and the extended hours year-round is hard on their systems.

Biddies need a break!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom