One Hour old chick with prolapsed vent?

SassysMom

Chirping
6 Years
May 26, 2013
western WA state
Hi Everyone...

I have a Lavender Aracauna (yes, a true Aracauna) chick that was pipped and zipped about an hour ago. She was pretty tight in her egg and her pip was high on the large end of the egg. When she came out, I noticed a little red sac hanging from, what I though was, her vent. It was bleeding a little but it looked too strange to think it was just a piece of the sac hanging off. I let her rest for awhile and have been checking her every few minutes. I finally wet a Q-tip, picked her up and applied the semi-cold Q-tip to the little blood that was still coming out. Cleaned the area and couldn't find her vent. So, I looked more closely at the little dangling sac-like appendage (for lack of a better word) and I swear that little thing is a prolapsed vent. Problem is, the hole that I would push it back into if this was an older chicken is less than the head of a very fine pin! To me, her abdomen looks distended, and there's no way I could get the vent into the pinpoint hole where her vent should be.

I can start putting Prep H and honey on the vent, and just watch her, but is there anything else I can do? I can take a picture later on. Right now, I'm just trying to keep her warm since she's already been out of the incubator recently.

Has anyone else dealt with this in such a young chick? Prognosis?

Thanks for any info and/or thoughts...
Connie
idunno.gif

That is not her vent... essentially, that is her belly button/umbilical cord... don't pull on it... if you can tuck it together at that spot and let it dry out...
Pic would help to see if it's too damaged or not... her vent is a lot hiher up than you'd think, lol... :)

That is not her vent... essentially, that is her belly button/umbilical cord... don't pull on it... if you can tuck it together at that spot and let it dry out...
Pic would help to see if it's too damaged or not... her vent is a lot hiher up than you'd think, lol...
smile.png

Now that makes sense! Thanks! I did tuck it together gently with a Prep H wipe. Keeping her slightly older, and way too inquisitive, sister away from it is the most labor intensive thing right now.
jumpy.gif
She keeps trying to help the younger one get rid of this dangling thing. Such a help...not! As the time goes on, it is drying up, and I have the lights low so both of them have settled down. This isn't my first hatch, or my first rodeo, either
hu.gif
...but it sure is the first time I've seen this.

I really appreciate your replying! Maybe this overly protective chicken mom should have a glass of wine and go to bed. I'm sure those little chick-lettes are hoping I do!

Connie
PS: Will take a picture in the am. Hopefully, it will have dried up and fallen off by then...for her sake and my sanity.

Back
Top Bottom