one of my RIR's

eldiablo

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 7, 2007
Farmersville, California
Thursday I bought two RIRs and today I noticed it was moved at half speed. It didn't eat the whole time I was in the run and I didn't see it drink anything. It does run away from me though when I try to console it. I'm thinking it might be sick does anyone agree or is it something else?

Well... With the information given, I'd say seperate the bird from the rest. Put her inside with a lamp in one corner so she can choose to be warmer or not. If she's not drinking, use a dropper to drop water in her mouth or give her some fruit flavored (but NOT grape) Pedialite from the children's section. I'd be more worried about her not drinking than not eating.
If she's of laying age, make sure she's eating lay mash and not a lot of scratch. Scratch is like candy to them and should be used as a treat only.
Check to make sure she doesn't have parasites, like mites, on her.
Have they been wormed?

Well more news. This bird is eating and drinking and moving a little faster than yesterday. It sneezed and I saw some liquid come out. Do feed and supply store carry medicine for this or do I have to go to a vet?
hmm.png

Great to hear she is eating and drinking. Now you have to take care of the respritory infection.
Go to the feed store and buy an antibiotic that mixes in the water.
Click here for some options from Jeffers Pet
Put all your chickens on it since they are together. You can also buy some stuff called Vet RX. Put a drop in each nostril and under her wings. It will help her breathe better. It is sort of like Vicks Vapo-rub.
Please note that some antibiotics will transfer into the eggs. If they are laying hens, don't eat the eggs while they are being treated or buy antibiotics for laying hens.

EDIT: I would go with Terramycin
00ae.png
Soluble Powder but you can not eat their eggs while they are being treated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom