One of our hens laid an incredibly large 136gram egg.

Guerra

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 16, 2013
This is our first experience raising chickens.

We have 15 Cuckoo Marans, they are 28 weeks old and have been laying for about 8 weeks.

Today my mother in law found something totally unexpected an incredibly large egg. It weighs 136 grams!!

It is so large that I am worried about the chicken’s health.

Our hens have been laying med/large eggs, with the occasional large/jumbo double yoker but this one is huge.

My wife asked which hen I thought laid the egg, and I said: "That is easy look for the one that's walking funny".
roll.png

Since all of our hens are the same breed, they all look the same, and it is impossible to tell which one laid the egg.

So should we be worried?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

That's still in the range of bodies getting the plumbing worked out. I wouldn't worry. Take another picture when you open it.

Are you not getting very many dark eggs from them? Naturally the large egg wouldn't be dark because the pigment is spread over such a large surface. I just thought Cuckoo Marans laid dark eggs.

Last edited:
I'm curious if it's a three yolk egg too. Wow that's big. Had an egg bottom out 100 gram egg scale so no idea actual weight but yours has it beat hands down. The double yolk eggs slow down the older the birds get. There's a lot going on to get in sync with eggs. Virtually an assembly line of independent operations before it's laid. Double yolks is just one of the many quirks that can happen with young layers.

I'll bet there's a shelled egg inside there.

Well, there's no blood on it, that's a good sign....but still might want to check everyone's vents.

@ChickenCanoe .....Hatchery Cuckoo Marans are often pale in the egg color department.

I'll bet there's a shelled egg inside there.

Well, there's no blood on it, that's a good sign....but still might want to check everyone's vents.

@ChickenCanoe .....Hatchery Cuckoo Marans are often pale in the egg color department.

Egg in an egg is possible too.

I bought eggs of 3 Marans varieties a few years ago. They were supposed to be from famous lines. They weren't dark at all. They didn't hatch either (that may have been incubator's fault) So to this day I've never had Marans.
If not selected for, the shell color can be lost very quickly.
The only thing I breed any more is Black Penedesenca. It's a labor of love to work on egg color - and all their other great traits.

Back
Top Bottom