One Week old chick with eye issues. Discharge? Please help ? (PICS)

wpalmisano

Songster
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
Connecticut
I raise mostly game birds but recently hatched 1/2 dozen EEs. After about 3 days I came home to find one dead. No outward signs of any issues. I also noticed at the time another one of the chicks eyes appeared swollen, but due to the feathering could not tell if it was trauma or medical. Nothing wrong with any others. Now it can hardly see, and it appears there is white stuff around the eyes. The best description is like she got her face wet and dipped her eyes in the starter mash. The others are fine. Have used a syringe with lukewarm water and dripped it on there to try to clean it, but it seems to be getting worse. Eating and drinking normally, but appears smaller.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. BABY EE/americauna
2) What is the behavior, exactly. NORMAL
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? SINCE THE TWO DAY MARK
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? NO
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. CAN'T TELL
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. DON'T KNOW
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. CHICK STARTER MASH ROM BLUE SEAL
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. NORMAL
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? USING SYRINGE TO DRIP WATER ON EYES.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? EUTHANIZE THINK
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. DONE
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use PAPER TOWELS OVER PINE SHAVINGS UNDER A BROODER LAMP.

DAY 1
65292_new_hatch_5.jpg

DAY 4

65292_october102010_eyes1.jpg

TODAY
65292_october102010_eyes_2.jpg

Last edited:
So I think it IS STARTER MASH ! Used syringe full of warm water and some of it cleared up. The issue is what is causing it to stick to the eyes?

Back
Top Bottom