Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

Pics
I'm wondering if these two aren't pretty similar genetically. With one receiving a copy of blue, and the other being more or less the black equivalent. I would hazard to guess they are all gold based, though the blue male could be split gold/silver. or possibly is gold/gold and carries some additional type of modifiers to get the crème neck hackles.

I need to find a home for my awesome Buff Laced Brahma cockerel. He is the nicest bird I've ever had, but is low on the order and his hackles are nearly gone thanks to the other chickens. I think I'll separate him for a while and hope someone wants him. Here's a picture if anyone here is in NY or nearby.

I'm wondering if these two aren't pretty similar genetically. With one receiving a copy of blue, and the other being more or less the black equivalent. I would hazard to guess they are all gold based, though the blue male could be split gold/silver. or possibly is gold/gold and carries some additional type of modifiers to get the crème neck hackles.
Thanks BM. Could be since I bought them from the same breeder. But I never really had a color bleeding problem when i bred the Blue cock bird to the Blue hen, just when I crossed her with the Gold Laced. He does have some red leakage. This is the hen in question. And this is the Gold Laced Brahma cock bird. When I crossed them, I got the "Black Copper" color I posted. Can I continue this color somehow? Breed the 'Black Copper" cockerel to a Black pullet perhaps?? Thanks again!

Thanks BM. Could be since I bought them from the same breeder. But I never really had a color bleeding problem when i bred the Blue cock bird to the Blue hen, just when I crossed her with the Gold Laced. He does have some red leakage. This is the hen in question. And this is the Gold Laced Brahma cock bird. When I crossed them, I got the "Black Copper" color I posted. Can I continue this color somehow? Breed the 'Black Copper" cockerel to a Black pullet perhaps?? Thanks again!

From the picture, it looks like the blue female may be showing a little hackle color just below her ear lobes there. Females tend to show this less than the males who sprout a whole new set of hackle and saddle feathers when these hormones kick in.

As to making more similar to the male, I think you will find many variations to the theme. That is to say, if you raise a bunch of chicks out of him you will see much subtle variances among the cockerels (and some possibly not so subtle), as your male is a mix of two patterns, and likely carries two different copies of many genes. Breeding such a bird is a roll of the dice which combination of genes he passes on to his offspring. All you can do is keep the ones closest to your ideal end goal and continue on with them. Eventually you should be able to concentrate the genes required for your desired effect, and reproduce it with a high regularity. Until then expect a bunch of pretty mutts for lack of a better word.

From the picture, it looks like the blue female may be showing a little hackle color just below her ear lobes there. Females tend to show this less than the males who sprout a whole new set of hackle and saddle feathers when these hormones kick in.

As to making more similar to the male, I think you will find many variations to the theme. That is to say, if you raise a bunch of chicks out of him you will see much subtle variances among the cockerels (and some possibly not so subtle), as your male is a mix of two patterns, and likely carries two different copies of many genes. Breeding such a bird is a roll of the dice which combination of genes he passes on to his offspring. All you can do is keep the ones closest to your ideal end goal and continue on with them. Eventually you should be able to concentrate the genes required for your desired effect, and reproduce it with a high regularity. Until then expect a bunch of pretty mutts for lack of a better word.
Thank you Big Medicine. I do see the feathers on the hen, now that you mention it. They are very subtle. I looked at her closely today though & they are there. I'm not sure if I'm going to go in that direction. I just thought a Black Copper Brahma would be a cool color. Their type looks pretty good on the parent birds, so i wouldn't need to work much on that, just the color.

Thank you Big Medicine. I do see the feathers on the hen, now that you mention it. They are very subtle. I looked at her closely today though & they are there. I'm not sure if I'm going to go in that direction. I just thought a Black Copper Brahma would be a cool color. Their type looks pretty good on the parent birds, so i wouldn't need to work much on that, just the color.

Maintaining good type is still a lot of work even among the best of lines I'm guessing, based on my experience with my mutts.

Maintaining good type is definitely the most important thing. And I have seen some of your birds, one could hardly call them "mutts"...lol

Yeah I get to thinking they are coming around, then I go look at the Brahmas at a big show and get reminded how far I still have to go.

Back
Top Bottom