Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

Newbie here
smile.png

My son was given a trio of Brahma last year. He just wants them to be free range chickens. I've decided to embellish on them and have hijacked his chickens for a project. I retired mid year last year due to Stage 4 Breast Cancer. But I guess they treat it like a chronic condition these days and I'm actually doing well enough that I've gotten bored. I bred Overo Saddlebred & NSH horses, Schipperke dogs (cream), as well as Netherland Dwarf rabbites. So I have some understanding of genetics.

We hatched some eggs we purchased as well last year and have Gold Laced Brahma... Please let me know what you think of our little flock as I've decided to get serious about this. I have allot to learn and hopefully lots of time to learn it. .. we have Gold and blue partridge eggs in the incubator right now...

I have a concern about all of the Brahma we have, I dont know that they have correct tails. And I will welcome suggestions on how to fix them if not. Also not sure to do with the white / grey hens.....

Click on this link to see photos

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10208839786853212&id=1270188189

Just going off color alone, I don't believe I would use the dark/melanistic male. As to the grey hen, I can not think of any advantage she might bring to your breeding program..

Need to work on getting a pea comb established, and I don't believe I would call a bird with that light of saddle feathers red, blue laced gold maybe.
thanks fire the advice. He is 2nd generation so far so I know I have some work to do but not bad considering I only had 1 Wyandotte to work with.

I have a feeling the person I bought the hatching eggs from last year is going for pretty birds and not type... I think I'm going to let my son keep this whole group free Rangers and focus on the Partridge I have in the incubator. That's what showed me I thought I might have a problem, I compared the chickens I have to the pictures of the flocks I bought the Partridge eggs from and then started researching. .. Looks like I was right. I'm a believer in getting the type right first and I think these are just to far away from it. ..

Thank you!

Just going off color alone, I don't believe I would use the dark/melanistic  male.  As to the grey hen, I can not think of any advantage she might bring to your breeding program..

Last edited:
I have a feeling the person I bought the hatching eggs from last year is going for pretty birds and not type... I think I'm going to let my son keep this whole group free Rangers and focus on the Partridge I have in the incubator. That's what showed me I thought I might have a problem, I compared the chickens I have to the pictures of the flocks I bought the Partridge eggs from and then started researching. .. Looks like I was right. I'm a believer in getting the type right first and I think these are just to far away from it. ..

Thank you!

Now a possible option with the grey hen, if you would put her with a well marked partridge male, could produce potentially decent partridge pullets as she is partially penciled. The male chicks from this cross would be split silver/ gold, likely look like a dark Brahma with brassy yellow developing in the saddle and hackle feathers as they mature.

is it safe to say this is a splash laced gold?

Gold, maybe even buff.
Not so sure about splash. Blue, (and splash for that matter) can vary significantly in depth of color. From what I see in this photo, I'm leaning blue.
So I would say blue laced gold, possibly blue laced buff.

Now a possible option with the grey hen, if you would put her with a well marked partridge male,  could produce potentially decent partridge pullets as she is partially penciled. The male chicks from this cross would be split silver/ gold, likely look like a dark Brahma with brassy yellow developing in the saddle and hackle feathers as they mature.

Alright, thank you.

I've started getting several chicks like this. I got blue gold roosters and several blue gold hens.

I've started getting several chicks like this. I got blue gold roosters and several blue gold hens.

When you breed blue to blue you get some splash, and that one looks like a red splash. If you breed true blue partridge to true gold partridge, that should give you all blues and golds.

Blue to blue breeding will produce

50 % blue chicks

25 % splash chicks

25 % black chicks

The formula holds true for all andalusian type blue, solid or part of a pattern such as blue partridge.

Back
Top Bottom