Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

Thank you both. I know any project takes a very long time to achieve right type, etc. I was just curious, as I love blue colored birds, but I may have to do this project. :)

Hi all!!! I know I've read somewhere before on how to make Blue Laced Red Brahmas but I can't remember where I saw it or how to do it. :( Does anyone know how to go about making this color? Could I use a BLR Wyandotte & a Blue Partridge Brahma exhibiting too much blue or would this not work? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Have a little more time to follow up on your question today. Looking at the photos of your birds at the bottom of post I would say you already have the genetic material to make blue laced gold Brahmas, if you stick with it. The component you appear to lack would be mahogany to get the deep red to be true and proper blue laced reds.

If it was me, I would likely stick the best typed splash partridge female into your best gold laced breeding pen. Every chick she produces will be blue, of varying degree of mixed pattern between single laced and penciled.

I would then keep the best typed blues with the closest to single lacing and breed back to your best gold laced of the opposite sex. 50% of the resulting chicks should be blue. Repeat until the pattern is firmly established. You then could go to breeding blue to blue..

To get the mahogany you will have to outcross to another breed like a good blue laced red Wyandotte, and I emphasis good because there are many being produced that also lack mahogany, or Rhode Island Red, or Dark Cornish. But all of these will take many generations to get back proper type, comb, feather pattern, leg feathering etc. to be proper Brahmas. Or find a Brahma project bird that carries mahogany.

Have a little more time to follow up on your question today. Looking at the photos of your birds at the bottom of post I would say you already have the genetic material to make blue laced gold Brahmas, if you stick with it. The component you appear to lack would be mahogany to get the deep red to be true and proper blue laced reds.

If it was me, I would likely stick the best typed splash partridge female into your best gold laced breeding pen. Every chick she produces will be blue, of varying degree of mixed pattern between single laced and penciled.

I would then keep the best typed blues with the closest to single lacing and breed back to your best gold laced of the opposite sex. 50% of the resulting chicks should be blue. Repeat until the pattern is firmly established. You then could go to breeding blue to blue..

To get the mahogany you will have to outcross to another breed like a good blue laced red Wyandotte, and I emphasis good because there are many being produced that also lack mahogany, or Rhode Island Red, or Dark Cornish. But all of these will take many generations to get back proper type, comb, feather pattern, leg feathering etc. to be proper Brahmas. Or find a Brahma project bird that carries mahogany.
Haven't been on here in a few days. Thanks Big Medicine! I know it's an undertaking to do a project like this. I think I'm ready for it. I hope. lol Thanks again. You are always a huge help. :)

Took a few quick shots of a few of my birds this afternoon. Quite a variety came out of my blue laced red pens this year, not sure if some of these came out of the single or double laced pens..

Seem to be a few columbian patterned red pullets this year.
A splash red columbian pullet.

A darker necked red columbian pullet, both show faint trace of lacing.

Back
Top Bottom