Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

I would like an opinion on my young rooster. He seems lighter than my normal roosters have been.

I would like an opinion on my young rooster. He seems lighter than my normal roosters have been.

He is definitely under laced. Puts me in mind of what you get about the second generation after outcrossing silver laced to light,(columbian).

The cockerel on the right is the typical first generation result from that outcross.

This male shows pretty good pattern.

Your male also displays a looser comb than I strive for.

I am going to peruse this thread more, but wonder if others might educate me on how I would begin a splash project. I have this little below, not sure of sex yet (though experts might help me. This photo was about two weeks ago. The coloration seems to be holding, along with the very heavy feathering on the feet. But it is from light brahma parents. Thoughts? Worth a shot? There is more of the grey black along the back and in the foot feathering as well.

Not sure of your experience/knowledge in this area, so... basically blue is a diluter of black. A chicken with two copies of black will have black pigment in that part of their pattern. A bird with one copy of black and one copy of blue will have those black areas diluted to kind of grey, that is called blue in poultry terms. Now a bird with two copies of blue will have those same areas of their pattern diluted to a mostly whitish color with specs of grey, called splash.

To receive two copies of blue a splash bird must receive a copy from each parent. And any bird passing a copy of blue to it's offspring will need to be blue(one copy) or splash(two copies) itself.

So the odds of getting a splash chick out of two regular light Brahmas is pert near impossible; My guess is your youngster will likely develop into a possibly under marked light. Spread it's wing and see if there is black pigment on it's primary feathers.

Not sure of your experience/knowledge in this area, so... basically blue is a diluter of black. A chicken with two copies of black will have black pigment in that part of their pattern. A bird with one copy of black and one copy of blue will have those black areas diluted to kind of grey, that is called blue in poultry terms. Now a bird with two copies of blue will have those same areas of their pattern diluted to a mostly whitish color with specs of grey, called splash.

To receive two copies of blue a splash bird must receive a copy from each parent. And any bird passing a copy of blue to it's offspring will need to be blue(one copy) or splash(two copies) itself.

So the odds of getting a splash chick out of two regular light Brahmas is pert near impossible; My guess is your youngster will likely develop into a possibly under marked light. Spread it's wing and see if there is black pigment on it's primary feathers.
Thank you! I'll check tonight. I don't think that this is a splash bird. I just wondered if it might be useful towards a future splash project. This is so so helpful!!! I am very new to color genetics in birds.

What brahmas are these? I was told they came from silver blue salmon parents but now they are 4 months old and still have no lacing on neck like normal silver blue salmon brahma.. I am told they are turning out to be some splash but i dont know which (ignore the brown chick sitting in the pic)

Hi all!!! I know I've read somewhere before on how to make Blue Laced Red Brahmas but I can't remember where I saw it or how to do it. :( Does anyone know how to go about making this color? Could I use a BLR Wyandotte & a Blue Partridge Brahma exhibiting too much blue or would this not work? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Hi all!!! I know I've read somewhere before on how to make Blue Laced Red Brahmas but I can't remember where I saw it or how to do it. :( Does anyone know how to go about making this color? Could I use a BLR Wyandotte & a Blue Partridge Brahma exhibiting too much blue or would this not work? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
The original creator of that color used the Gold Laced Brahma crossed with the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, and crossed offspring back a few times to the Gold Laced Brahma to get the pure Brahma look.

Back
Top Bottom