Ongoing Quilt Projects, Continued from the "No Appreciation...." Thread

Pics
[QUOTE="speckledhen, post: 19478020, member: 348"since I don't have a long arm machine.[/QUOTE]Santa? Santa? Get your book out, mate, we have an order in for next Christmas. :D (sorry if you don't "do" Christmas, but there's no imaginary guy to dole out birthday presents :D)
Have any of you ever done any quilting on single colour fabric? Where there's no patchwork, just stitching? I've seen photos of beautiful white on white quilts. I can never get one until all of my pets leave home, but they are very beautiful.
Also, with those BIIIG bed quilts, how do you wash them when/if they need it?

[QUOTE="speckledhen, post: 19478020, member: 348"since I don't have a long arm machine.
Santa? Santa? Get your book out, mate, we have an order in for next Christmas. :D (sorry if you don't "do" Christmas, but there's no imaginary guy to dole out birthday presents :D)
Have any of you ever done any quilting on single colour fabric? Where there's no patchwork, just stitching? I've seen photos of beautiful white on white quilts. I can never get one until all of my pets leave home, but they are very beautiful.
Also, with those BIIIG bed quilts, how do you wash them when/if they need it?[/QUOTE]

Silly! Not asking anyone for that expensive piece of equipment. I'm not sure I could learn to use one!

What you're talking about is a whole cloth quilt, the stitching on a single color quilt. I have not done one, no, but I've thought about it.

I wash all my quilts in my washing machine. It's super large and can hold 2 queen size quilts at one time. It's the type without an agitator, just what they call an "impeller" so the drum is very roomy.

It's super large and can hold 2 queen size quilts at one time. It's the type without an agitator, just what they call an "impeller" so the drum is very roomy.
Oh, that sounds like the answer. I don't think I've seen one that big down here. You get a better range of things in the US.
Candlewicking, I just remember some of those white quilts. I've seen ones with stitching, also ones with candlewicking, knots and things that came from women reusing their candle wicks to make quilts. They were pretty impressive....
I LOVE quilts. I could quite easy have a gallery of different designs and techniques.... I live where it's 40C. Plan: move to Canada... :D

Well, I had to redesign my chevron quilt. I am 2 strips short of one color. :rant

But the redesign will work well. Just hope I can match my corners. LOL

I was short on my red centers, had to use a red a shade off. So, when they came together, it was noticeable. I've done that so many times, not had enough of one fabric, I've lost count. It's my curse.

Oh, fine hand quilting takes years of practice. You should have seen my first attempt at it. I've come a very long way from there. It's not a skill you pick up overnight. This was my very first attempt at hand quilting (this pillow cover was hand pieced, too). See? I didn't start out at 8-10 stitches per inch!
View attachment 1246565

I still have my hand quilting project sitting in the hoop. It's been there for more than 10 years!! LOL Would much rather dance with my longarm.

I still have my hand quilting project sitting in the hoop. It's been there for more than 10 years!! LOL Would much rather dance with my longarm.

10 years??? Oh, you are so bad, LOL! I had machine phobia for so long, I even pieced by hand until just a few years ago and my carpal tunnel was making it really unpleasant. I didn't even want to commit to the quilt block swap the mods were doing. Then, some very sneaky friends who shall remain nameless (BYC STAFF!!!!!) had a sweet little Brother machine sent to my doorstep so I could participate in the block swap. I learned to piece on that machine and started learning to machine quilt on it, but I finally bought the Brother PQ1500s with a throat space almost twice as large and keep the first one (CS6000i) for a backup machine. That first Brother machine saved my hobby, literally.

I still prefer the look of fine hand quilting. When the power is out, you are not stopped dead in your tracks. And so few know how to do that anymore. I was hired to finish a king size quilt that an elderly grandmother (90's) could not finish due to her failing eyesight. Her granddaughter was buying an old Kenmore machine I had and never learned to use-hubby sewed his stripes on his Air Force uniforms with it-and she found that I knew how to hand quilt, said she'd been looking for someone to finish her grandmother Lucille's quilt. So, I completed that for her and she was thrilled. But, it was hard for her to find someone who even would attempt it.

10 years??? Oh, you are so bad, LOL! I had machine phobia for so long, I even pieced by hand until just a few years ago and my carpal tunnel was making it really unpleasant.literally.

I still prefer the look of fine hand quilting. When the power is out, you are not stopped dead in your tracks. And so few know how to do that anymore. I was hired to finish a king size quilt that an elderly grandmother (90's) could not finish due to her failing eyesight. Her granddaughter was buying an old Kenmore machine I had and never learned to use-hubby sewed his stripes on his Air Force uniforms with it-and she found that I knew how to hand quilt, said she'd been looking for someone to finish her grandmother Lucille's quilt. So, I completed that for her and she was thrilled. But, it was hard for her to find someone who even would attempt it.

I love the look of hand quilting and admire those who can do it. I even bought an awesome lap hoop and a Roxanne thimble, one of these days I'll get it out again. I've never been good at hand sewing.

I have a small collection of antique sewing machines that I use constantly. I just bought a 1934 machine at a thrift shop for $14.00. I replaced the motor $59.00 and the foot pedal $9.00 and it runs beautifully. I also have my 2001 hand guided APQS long arm. My finished basement is 75% quilting studio plus 2 machines are upstairs. I haven't done much for awhile due to other projects --like building my coop. I started a new quilt project in October and need to get back to work on it. I figured getting on the quilting thread would spur me on. Best get busy on my day.

@jeria sounds like a great setup. I wish my basement was warm enough in winter to do anything down there. It's not heated, only semi-finished. There is a bathroom and space enough, but being stuck down there is not much fun. Have a great day! Look forward to seeing some of your projects!

I just pulled out my grandmothers 1952 era Elna Supermatic that hadn't been used in probably 15 or more years. I was fortunate enough to receive it after she passed in 2008. I oiled her, threaded her and she runs like a dream. I am determined to learn to use her properly to piece a quilt on.

elna.jpg

Back
Top Bottom