Ongoing Quilt Projects, Continued from the "No Appreciation...." Thread

Pillow cover, with actual working invisible zipper, complete. I'll let the customer buy her own pillow form. But, I learned a new skill. Old dogs can learn new tricks. And, just think, most all those little triangles would have ended up in the trash if I hadn't saved them to make this. View attachment 1333016 View attachment 1333017
Love the pillow cover! And congrats on the new zipper skill!

For future reference, on cuts you want to treat yourself, after thorough cleaning you can keep the edges together by using those tiny baby finger sized bandaids that seem too small for anything else... they can even be cut in half lengthwise to make them skinnier, they are a cheap and easily available alternative to 'butterflies' . I have also used a drop or two of superglue to hold the edges together, but make sure you dont glue the whole edge together because you want it to be able to drain if needed.
And I love triple abx ointment...great stuff. Though I have been known to use a spritz of poultry aid spray when it was more convenient, lol.

Love the pillow cover! And congrats on the new zipper skill!

For future reference, on cuts you want to treat yourself, after thorough cleaning you can keep the edges together by using those tiny baby finger sized bandaids that seem too small for anything else... they can even be cut in half lengthwise to make them skinnier, they are a cheap and easily available alternative to 'butterflies' . I have also used a drop or two of superglue to hold the edges together, but make sure you dont glue the whole edge together because you want it to be able to drain if needed.
And I love triple abx ointment...great stuff. Though I have been known to use a spritz of poultry aid spray when it was more convenient, lol.

Haha, we've used superglue to glue a chick's navel that was too wide open. The lady who owned him called him SuperChick. Thanks for the suggestion. I just slathered that stuff all over it and used lots of non-stick gauze, changed daily. It seems okay, but very very sore, like it would open up again if I hit it too hard.

Thanks for the compliment on the pillow cover. Makes me want to make another one!

Haha, we've used superglue to glue a chick's navel that was too wide open. The lady who owned him called him SuperChick. Thanks for the suggestion. I just slathered that stuff all over it and used lots of non-stick gauze, changed daily. It seems okay, but very very sore, like it would open up again if I hit it too hard.

Thanks for the compliment on the pillow cover. Makes me want to make another one!

Just remember, pain is mother nature's way of saying something is wrong or remind you healing is in progress...so be nice to it for a few days! I like using something to hold the edges together so as the wound knits internally so it doesn't get pulled or tugged as much. Areas near joints are horrible for pulling back apart.

For the pillows... have you thought of doing 'throw pillow' covers for seasonal couch decorations? Maybe a few squares each, quilted in seasonal patterns or colors. A nice small project to use up scraps and certainly would be a pretty addition to any living room!

Just remember, pain is mother nature's way of saying something is wrong or remind you healing is in progress...so be nice to it for a few days! I like using something to hold the edges together so as the wound knits internally so it doesn't get pulled or tugged as much. Areas near joints are horrible for pulling back apart.

For the pillows... have you thought of doing 'throw pillow' covers for seasonal couch decorations? Maybe a few squares each, quilted in seasonal patterns or colors. A nice small project to use up scraps and certainly would be a pretty addition to any living room!

That may be a great summer project rather than big quilts. Thanks, Karen

Now, I'm using Aurifil thread on my current quilt. Starting out, the tension is way off, making dots on the top, so I pulled back on the thread tension on top and I tightened up the bobbin tension, which seemed to fix the issue. I have used Maxi Lock serger thread for a long time now on my projects, which is sort of like a 40wt thread, but this is 50W, very fine, as you know. Is that normal, for the tension to have to be so much less on top and more on bottom for a fine thread? I am no expert on adjusting tension, but as soon as I saw the issue, I quit and got a practice sandwich to mess with to fix it before I continued.

Still trying to fix the issue. It makes super long stitches suddenly and for no apparent reason (not a speed problem). I've adjusted the bobbin tension slightly less than I had it and changed the needle to a new one, though it was already pretty new. Still a problem. I was using topstitch needles with no problem for a long time, though they are 130N rather than 130/705H that is recommended. But, I got out the needle recommended for the machine and replaced it yet again and it sews fine on the scrap sandwich. I am tired of messing with it, pulling out bad stitches, but I've not had 50W thread in her for ages so all the tension would be off, I guess, using that again. Maybe the Aurifil didn't like that topstitch needle for some reason.

ETA: That seemed to be most of the problem. The Aurifil hated the topstitch needle. I may have fixed the problem now. Geez, that is stressful!

Last edited:
Now that it looks better, I can show you my war injury, LOL. In the line of duty, I bled for the cause!
DSC01464.JPG

I'm trying to concentrate on quilting this twin size quilt, but there are chicks chirping in the brooder, the ones in the incubator being slow as molasses a day late, men working and running around in the process for putting in our fiber optic for our high speed internet, etc, etc. Hard to concentrate!

ouch. You didn't just cut yourself, you gouged a bit out. ouchy.

What do y'all think about this machine?
http://janome.com.au/product/memory-craft-8200qcp-special-edition/
It's on special (they're all on special, Mother's Day makes all the machines go on special) and the price isn't as stratospheric as many. Even spending this much would be a bit foolish considering our climate and my state of vegetation, but looking anyway. (shopaholic, who, me?) The next model up is double the price.

ouch. You didn't just cut yourself, you gouged a bit out. ouchy.

What do y'all think about this machine?
http://janome.com.au/product/memory-craft-8200qcp-special-edition/
It's on special (they're all on special, Mother's Day makes all the machines go on special) and the price isn't as stratospheric as many. Even spending this much would be a bit foolish considering our climate and my state of vegetation, but looking anyway. (shopaholic, who, me?) The next model up is double the price.

I have one on my ebay watch list. This is refurbished from Ken's Sewing Center in Alabama.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Janome-820...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

My little hoodlums in my quilting room are impeding the progress of my current quilt, as you can see.

A subscriber on my channel suggested this note to my customer, LOL.

Dear customer, We are experiencing delays in production due to an overwhelming amount of fuzzy chick cuteness. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We suggest filling the time by watching videos of fuzzy chicks being cute.
Thank you, Management :)

Back
Top Bottom