Ongoing Quilt Projects, Continued from the "No Appreciation...." Thread

Can you order more?

Yes, probably, but I'm not going to. Shipping would be almost as much as the fabric itself for one yard of it. I'm going to go with what I have here. So, I'll have to change the block, not use the twisty one in the four corners. I think it will look fine, just not perfect, but in the future, if I do this as a border, I'll know what to do for the corners.

When I submitted my bid, it said I couldn't bid because the seller only accepted paypal. The listing says credit cards through paypal, no indication of that on the listing. So, I lost it. It sold for $740. My bid would have been the next at $732 anyway. But, why don't they require a seller to say you can't do cc's through paypal???????

But how would it know how you intended to pay when you bid? doesn't that come up later on, if you win? (I haven't used ebay for ages and I've never used paypal, not sure how it works). Anyway, sorry you missed out. :(

It lists payment choices on every listing. It knows if my husband has Paypal linked to his Ebay account, which he does not. We use credit cards processed through paypal, always. There was no indication she did not take that form of payment on the listing. It was right there as a possible payment choice. So when I hit to confirm my bid, it said I could not bid on that item, that the seller would only accept paypal for the item. My husband ran up against that once and contacted ebay to ask what why the payment choice was shown but the seller did not accept it, but they never responded.

Another thing that really bugs me. You cannot contact a lot of sellers. I tried to contact two of them. They don't allow contact. That should be illegal on ebay. I wanted to ask a specific question that was not addressed in the listing. For example, it would say only items shown in photos were included and nothing else, but all the machine attachments would be in a bag where you could not even see them. I didn't want a machine that did not have a free motion foot for it in the bag. Those can be expensive for some machines, as much as $50 for the special Janome one.

Oh, I thought they forced you to have paypal.
I wouldn't want to buy from such a seller. It sounds shonky.

I think that it's probably the difference between "paypal accepted" and "paypal preferred". I did some digging and you have to click on the "details" button that is in small print after it says if the seller accepts returns. When you click to see the details, then it says something about preferred or accepted payments. But that is still not clear to me and seems an odd place to put that information. If seller takes only paypal, it should say in plain English right on the page of the listing, not hidden in some obscure place. So, even though my bid was right there at the winning number, it would not have mattered anyway. There is another machine on Ebay for starting bid of $945 or Buy-it-now at $1300 with free shipping. That saves a chunk of money to have the shipping free, in effect, bringing down the price into the $800's, if you can get it at the starting bid, but still, more than I'd like to pay for a computerized machine that is years old. I mean, the motherboard could be dead if they lie about the condition or are just re-selling and really don't know anything much about it other than "it powers up". I can't afford to waste that much money unless I have a good feeling about the machine and the seller.

Last edited:
Okay, here is the way it's shaping up. When all the border is attached, it should be about 72" square. If I'm heading to king size, it should be closer to 108" square. My next step will be the dark blue border around all this so those corner squares don't look like they're just floating out in space, then, maybe a gold border and then, who knows?
I'm fighting my ripply carpet under this. The installation was guaranteed for a year, but it was almost 2 years and the carpet in both bedrooms got ridges in it. DH doesn't seem to care, but it drives me insane, especially when I lay out a quilt on it. Geez, men.

DSC01748.JPG
DSC01752.JPG

***I may do another twisted pole something in the future so you can see the pattern better, but this has such soft, muted fabrics, it is not as easy to see that cool effect.

This machine is being sold by the original owner, serviced yearly she says. Says she upgraded to a Janome embroidery machine and that's the only reason she's selling. Free shipping which is excellent, though the starting bid is $945. She even says it likes Mettler and Guttermann threads and is including two new spools of Mettler in there for the new owner. Another one sold to the only bidder for $800 before the one I lost and there are others, including a Janome 8900 for $999 buy it now-that seems a wonderful deal to me on that except that is has no extension table with it. I need that since I have no other table to drop it into at this point in time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Janome-Horizon-Memory-Craft-7700-QCP-sewing-machine/183212068450?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

This is the one with starting bid of $999. It sells now at most places online for $3000 still, but no table shown, plus not the seamstress selling it, a company is, I guess.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Janome-Memory-Craft-8900-QCP/173313509718?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

@DuckLady Terrie, which is the better deal at its starting bid price? The 8900?

I found this comparison sheet:
https://tv-sewingcenter.com/janome/janome-7700-vs-janome-8200-vs-janome-8900

Last edited:
The first one listed above is mine. No one else bid. Maybe the early Sunday morning ending helped. It was the next best one to the one I lost because of payment options. Free shipping effectively brings the price down by around $70, judging by what most folks are charging for it in general. So, $100 more than the other one would have cost me with shipping added to that one, no broken stuff reported on it, serviced last Fall and every year she had it, she said. Also, I did contact her before I bid to ask if she would insure the shipping and she responded quickly. So, we shall see how I like it. She said I would love the machine, she just upgraded to a Janome with the embroidery stuff on it. I think this one monograms, but that's it. Wonder if I could make my own quilt labels with it? Depends on the size of the letters, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom