Ongoing Quilt Projects, Continued from the "No Appreciation...." Thread

I like to use the PVC square quilt frames. They snap together when you want to use them and pull apart for easy storage when you’re not. You just lay the quilt over the square, then there are 4 plastic “holders” that snap on to hold the top of the quilt. With a simple twist of those holders, you can instantly adjust the tension. I don’t like to have the quilt too taut in the frame…I like just a little play. It kind of feels like a marshmallow when I get it just right. There are no wrinkles in it, but it’s loose enough to easily manipulate the needle through the layers.

As for marking, I usually try to minimize that. I only mark the open areas and just follow the appliques or seams there. When I do mark, I use the blue water soluble pens. Note: Be sure your quilt will be washable, or at least rinsable, or it can leave brown residual lines. I have a quilt I started when my daughter was expecting my granddaughter. Little Diane (named after me) is now 27 years old and I recently found that huge quilt when we were packing to move. I’ll bet it’s been 20 years since I’ve even laid eyes on it. I had a big trailer in the back behind the garage that was my quilting sanctuary. I had all of my projects, machines, notions, fabrics, and cutting mats out there. We sold that trailer to make room to build our new house and that’s when I found this long neglected quilt. I‘ve decided to finish it and give it to her. But some of the lines had disappeared and in other areas there are brown lines instead of blue. I’ve been working on it now anyway. She’s as sentimental as I am and when I tell her the history and why there are brown ghosts of the lines, I know she’ll understand. I’ll still try washing it when it’s finished, and maybe some of them will come out, but I don’t hold out much hope. Now mind you, those lines have been on there for 27 years, and I’ve never had that kind of ghosting on any other quilt I’ve done, but that’s a long time for a chemical to sit on white fabric.

Tailor’s chalk works well but brushes off easily as you manipulate the quilt. It should last through doing a lap quilt but I wouldn’t mark anything larger with it. Same with pounce pads.

I agree with Dreamer…some kind of frame, whether hoop or PVC frame…is almost essential to keep the layers straight and wrinkle free. But as I said, I don’t tighten mine to be too taut. A little give is helpful.

@speckledhen I had no idea about the accident. I'm glad to hear you are doing better now though! That was indeed a close one!

See? There ya go!!

Need another reason? How about one I learned at an antique sewing machine symposium many years ago. The only truly straight stitches are sewn on antique machines - Singers and others - those WITHOUT zig-zag capabilities. Surprised? So was I! Turns out that under high magnification it is clear that the old machines sew with each stitch straight in perfect alignment with the one before. But with zig zag capable machines, even top line models, there is a slight slant between each stitch. It goes to the left at the end of the stitch, then back to right at the beginning of the next one, over and over again. It’s not enough to affect the finished piece, and it is only obvious under that high magnification, but it’s there, nonetheless. If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn’t have believed it.
You know, I noticed that on my machines.
I have three old singers (201, FW, and 99k) and a straight stitch Juki. Each one stitches a true straight stitch, but if I use any of my other machines with a zig-zag or more stitch capability, there is the mildest slant to the "straight" stitch.

Funny that this thread would pop up while I’m searching for something sewing related.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for a good, reasonably priced long arm service? A friend at work asked me if I knew anyone who could quilt a couple of her projects (bed-sized, I think) but she doesn’t want to pay a fortune for it. I told her I have tons of unfinished quilts because I start making too many others before finishing earlier ones. I assume that’s a common thing for many of us. :D

Funny that this thread would pop up while I’m searching for something sewing related.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for a good, reasonably priced long arm service? A friend at work asked me if I knew anyone who could quilt a couple of her projects (bed-sized, I think) but she doesn’t want to pay a fortune for it. I told her I have tons of unfinished quilts because I start making too many others before finishing earlier ones. I assume that’s a common thing for many of us. :D
Well, as I live and breathe…..WV, you’re also a quilter? Did I know that before and my feeble brain just forgot, or is this new info to me?

Can’t help with your question, though. I hand quilt all of mine.

Well, as I live and breathe…..WV, you’re also a quilter? Did I know that before and my feeble brain just forgot, or is this new info to me?

Can’t help with your question, though. I hand quilt all of mine.
I am! (I also saw the coolest hummingbird video, I need to find for you lol)

My mother was a big quilter, I was the only one of her 4 daughters that took up the craft. I machine quilt all of mine, but the big ones do get to be a pain.

Off topic - this is a hummingbird video that I know Blooie will love.
https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdBpfxd4/

I am! (I also saw the coolest hummingbird video, I need to find for you lol)

My mother was a big quilter, I was the only one of her 4 daughters that took up the craft. I machine quilt all of mine, but the big ones do get to be a pain.
Oh, yeah!! Post it over on the Hummingbird Haven thread…we need to wake that one up! :lau

Nobody in my family quilted. When I started back in 1972, before the big BiCentennial craze to relive the olden days hit, neighborhood gossip branded me as “that poor woman who has to make her own blankets because she can’t afford to buy them.”

There are people like me that will work with people via mail and email, but if you are wanting to find someone local, go to a local (local-ish) quilt, sewing, or fabric store. Maybe even a Hobby Lobby or Joanns, and ask what local quilt guilds are in your area.
Often a quilt guild will know who is in your area or maybe one of their members may be a longarmer.

Sometimes the shops will carry names, business cards, or even website listings of longarmers. It just depends if any longarmers have established themselves to the shops or has a working relationship with them. If you do find some local names, don't be afraid to ask for recommendations. A fair number of people bought longarms during the shut down, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are very experienced at it yet.

And yes, it's a common thing among us. :D I have a longarm and I too have many unfinished quilts because I'm busy quilting for others ....aaaaand I keep making more quilt tops!

There are people like me that will work with people via mail and email, but if you are wanting to find someone local, go to a local (local-ish) quilt, sewing, or fabric store. Maybe even a Hobby Lobby or Joanns, and ask what local quilt guilds are in your area.
Often a quilt guild will know who is in your area or maybe one of their members may be a longarmer.

Sometimes the shops will carry names, business cards, or even website listings of longarmers. It just depends if any longarmers have established themselves to the shops or has a working relationship with them. If you do find some local names, don't be afraid to ask for recommendations. A fair number of people bought longarms during the shut down, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are very experienced at it yet.

And yes, it's a common thing among us. :D I have a longarm and I too have many unfinished quilts because I'm busy quilting for others ....aaaaand I keep making more quilt tops!
Wonderful suggestion! Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom