Only double yolks

Foghornnmsprisy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 6, 2014
Austin/Bastrop Texas
The first egg our hen layed was a pretty big egg. I just figured she was healthy. So we collected about half a dozen eggs from her. We know Mable is the one who lays the big eggs, because she layed her first egg in front of us. So today was the big day to finally taste our home grown eggs. The first one had a double yolk. And the second and the third and so on. Every egg from her has been a double yolk egg. So I'm wondering will she always lay like this? And if she goes broody will the chicks hatch successfully?

Double yolkers are pretty common in new layers - their system is still figuring out the whole production thing. She may continue to lay them, but it is more likely that her system will find it's way to a more even keel and the doubles will become the exception rather than the rule.
As noted above, double yolkers are problematic for hatching and most responsible hatchers will not even set them.

Double yolkers are pretty common in new layers - their system is still figuring out the whole production thing.  She may continue to lay them, but it is more likely that her system will find it's way to a more even keel and the doubles will become the exception rather than the rule.
As noted above, double yolkers are problematic for hatching and most responsible hatchers will not even set them.

I knew I forgot something. Young layers will do this often. they are just figuring it out. The only hen in my flock that does double yolks is my biggest hen a barred rock named big momma. She is the oldest hen in my flock, along with my RIR, it's only once in awhile when she does lay like this. Your hen will most likely stop laying the double yolkers. But if she does keep laying like this I don't think it will be much of a problem. If she does keep laying the doubles just check her vent regularly to make sure nothing is happening down there.

After the third egg I was starting to wonder what else I was going to find inside these big eggs. I thought we would get deformed eggs in the beginning. But not perfect eggs with a surprise inside. My husband had the camera out while I cracked eggs just in case there was a triple. That probley won't happen. Right? :/

Last edited:
I got a couple of eggs early on when my girls started laying that stunned me...same chicken laid them just a few days apart. One was 123 grams and the other was 112 grams.

Actually in this photo the smaller looking egg had more density and was the 123 gram egg. The larger one weighed less - it was 112 grams.

When I cracked the 112 gram egg open it was a complete double egg....two outer whites, two inner whites and two yolks, but only one chalaza share between them, as you can see in the photo. I nicked one of the yolks with a sharp shell edge. I understand that triple yolks aren't that uncommon, but I've never seen one.

What breed chicken is she?
I had an amberlink mix laid a lot of double yolkers the first month...I think high production birds are more apt to release multiple ova.
Eventually she stopped the DY's and is my most prolific layer now. 50 days in a row then one day off, now 12 days so far.

Mable is a RIR with a deep mahagony colored collar. I read some where that meant she might be a heritage RIR. She's definitely a much darker color than the others. She just started laying about a month ago so I guess it won't last forever. But for right now were enjoying our novelty chicken.

The big egg is one of mables first the smaller is one of the other girls first eggs. The other girls eggs are laying bigger eggs now but no doubles.

Back
Top Bottom