Only One Hen Left. What Do I Do? Thanks

mosaicmama

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 19, 2013
We are down to one older hen and it’s so sad to see her alone. I’m concerned about her going into winter. We plan to get another batch of chicks this spring (we are only allowed 6 chickens where we live). But, I’m wondering if it would be better for her to get one or two older hen right now to keep her company? Or would that be more stressful for her? I have an opportunity to get some chicks this fall instead and I’m not sure if that’s the best way to go? Would love any advice! Thanks!

In my opinion, it is easier to integrate young chicks with adults than adults with adults. Since you are able to get chicks this Fall, I would go ahead and get them. You still have to do the proper integration, but to me it has worked better.

We are down to one older hen and it’s so sad to see her alone. I’m concerned about her going into winter. We plan to get another batch of chicks this spring (we are only allowed 6 chickens where we live). But, I’m wondering if it would be better for her to get one or two older hen right now to keep her company? Or would that be more stressful for her? I have an opportunity to get some chicks this fall instead and I’m not sure if that’s the best way to go? Would love any advice! Thanks!
How's she doing? I'm in the same situation.

I’m also in the same situation as of today—we’re only allowed four hens where we live and got two this spring, but just lost one to sour crop. :(

Back
Top Bottom