Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Deb, the fact that you mother was happy to be home tells me that you have made the right decision. Everything else is really of no significance.

x3
hugs.gif

What a beautiful morning we have this day. Slight breeze and the temperature is already in the sixties. I've prune a couple of little larteaf linden trees and would like to start working up the garden but if I did I would want to start planting and I know that would come back to haunt me. I'm concerned that this warm spell is going to play havoc with fruit production this year. Frost in early June is quite common and if the trees blossom out and fruit starts forming and frost hits they won't recover enough to produce this year.

We have trees blooming everywhere even my tulip tree that I planted last year, was putting out the blooms as well. I am not sure how much I can prune but I don't like the idea of having a V at the stump. I believe this fall I will cut out one of the V branch and let one grow into more of a tree instead of a bush. I hope I can encourage it to have a longer stump and stem like a tree wihtout killing it. Those are goreous trees but one must have to "train" the tree so we can have a nice shade under it and be able to mow under it.

My chickens will not have a shade this year after power company folks cut my pine tree because they deemed it "regular maintaince" and it was hurting the tree. I noticed at the last cutting, it was turning brown pine leaves at such an increased rate and it looked awful. It was time for that tree to go. For shade I may just put up some kind of overhang over the top netting.

Yep, it's official. Spring has arrived and as much as I like it I am concerned that it has gotten too warm too soon. Flowers are coming up, trees are budding out and will soon be in blossom. My concern is that the potential for freezing temperatures still exists. Should that happen it will just about guarantee that we will have an abysmal fruit harvest.

David informed me yesterday that his asparagus is already coming up and that is well over a month ahead of normal. The affects of this abnormally warm spring could be more far reaching than we realize. How is the minimal snowfall we had this past winter going to affect the water table? Are we going to have drought conditions this summer? Too many things for this old brain to ponder so I guess I will just enjoy not having to break ice from the chickens waterers.

Back
Top Bottom