Places where roosters can crow

Thanks for reminding me about Jon Katz' site Bedlamfarm.com. I've read a number of his books about his leaving the suburbs to start over on his own farm.
Jon has been on quite the journey since he fled suburban New Jersey years ago to sort himself out in the countryside! He and his wife Maria currently have 2 donkeys, 3 dogs, a small flock of sheep (Maria's a fiber artist who also sells their wool as yarn, dryer balls, etc.), a very charismatic barn cat and what he calls "The Imperious Hens" in the part of rural New York state that locals sometimes call "Veryork" for their affinity with their nearby Vermont neighbors. He writes about their farm, his & Maria's artistic ventures and about the many local family farm-related businesses, new and established, plus his fascinating Amish neighbors who are buying and restoring abandoned farmland (horse-drawn buggies and farm equipment, the whole traditional deal). I check in on bedlamfarm.com several times a week; his photography of their farm, countryside and neighbors is lovely.

Last edited:
Thank you so, so, so much everyone for all of your comments and suggestions and inputs! All comments are very informative for me and I will definitely research more on what you've recommended!

Sorry for the late reply as life has been quite busy for me recently. Truly hope I can get to afford a place remote enough so that my animals are free to live their most natural and happiest lives. I do miss my roosters though, jumping on my lap when I was brunching in the garden, always protective of the hens, always running towards me and being wayyyy excited when I came. I did feel very bad that I failed to protect them from the cruelties of the world. Yeah maybe I wasn't tactful enough in dealing with the neighbors that my roosters paid the price (yes they're all dead because we were stupid enough to release them in the woods with people exercising nearby everyday and running water with the hope that they'll be free and happy from then on, only to have the foxes killed them all; but we learned a big lesson anyway. First time owners we are.). I did hope they understood that everyone is different though. I hope our roosters will start their new life with better fates than they did.

Anyway, thank you all so much for again for your whole-hearted comments and invaluable information!

Wishing you all the best!

Anyway, thank you all so much for again for your whole-hearted comments and invaluable information!
Feel free to ask any more questions you have. There are members here from all over the US, so if you had a question about a particular area, someone here might know the answer. Or know where you could find that answer.

Back
Top Bottom