Open wound in Silkie

SJchickens

Songster
Mar 13, 2015
Long Island, NY
Hi, my Silkie juvie was attacked by my Serama juvie in the back of the neck, and there is a good-sized open wound there. What am I supposed to do? Never dealt with this before. She seems alert and not in too much pain.

Thank you!

Separate her firstly.
Is the wound deep, or just skin removed?
You should clean it, see what you're dealing with. Considering it's on the back of her neck she probably can't pick at it, so you shouldn't need to cover it. Maybe put some neosporin on it, but not the kind with pain killer.

There's a product called Blue Coat that acts as an antiseptic and also disguises the wound so other birds won't be attracted to it. The downside is that your silkie will have a purple patch on it. If you use it, wear gloves, it stains.
Good luck!

Separate her firstly.
Is the wound deep, or just skin removed?
You should clean it, see what you're dealing with. Considering it's on the back of her neck she probably can't pick at it, so you shouldn't need to cover it. Maybe put some neosporin on it, but not the kind with pain killer.
The wound doesn't seem too deep, but the layer of skin is definitely gone. She's separated and inside on a towel. We've washed it out with some witch hazel and I'll se if we can get some blukote.

Sounds like you're doing everything right.
Keep her separate while it scabs up a bit, and when you finally introduce her back in make sure that it's covered with blukote to prevent picking.
Also, if you're having trouble with one chicken being too mean, you can separate it for a while, and when you re-introduce it, it will be the new bottom of the pecking order for a while. It might "put it in it's place".

Back
Top Bottom