Opinions on best egg layers

If you want shear production of large white eggs, look no further than white leghorns. But they can be flighty and aggressive as well as noisy. I have Rhode Island reds and they are quiet and lay a respectable 5-6 times a calendar week.

If you want shear production of large white eggs, look no further than white leghorns. But they can be flighty and aggressive as well as noisy. I have Rhode Island reds and they are quiet and lay a respectable 5-6 times a calendar week.
I don't know if people who says leghorn they are noisy and flighty and aggressive (haven't heard that one before), had an experienced with leghorn or just go with what other people says, but i have leghorns,(from 2 different families),barred rocks,Rhode island red (from 2 different families),and ameraucanas, and leghorn are not any more noisy or flighty than others in fact the barred rock is the one always crowing. About being aggressive haven't had any experience with none of them. I don't know if my leghorns are different because of the way I raised them? I clip their wings to all my different breeds,so they won't fly the 6 feet tall and I stay right next to them when i feed them till they finish. Hope this helps to whoever wants leghorn and not getting them because of that.

I don't know if people who says leghorn they are noisy and flighty and aggressive (haven't heard that one before), had an experienced with leghorn or just go with what other people says, but i have leghorns,(from 2 different families),barred rocks,Rhode island red (from 2 different families),and ameraucanas, and leghorn are not any more noisy or flighty than others in fact the barred rock is the one always crowing. About being aggressive haven't had any experience with none of them. I don't know if my leghorns are different because of the way I raised them? I clip their wings to all my different breeds,so they won't fly the 6 feet tall and I stay right next to them when i feed them till they finish. Hope this helps to whoever wants leghorn and not getting them because of that.

I think it might just be the way you raise them too. Kinda like dogs. My dad said growing up he had to take care of 1200 white leghorns. Said they were mean and flew around his head a lot. Maybe he just hated caring for that many chickens in general.

I think it might just be the way you raise them too. Kinda like dogs. My dad said growing up he had to take care of 1200 white leghorns. Said they were mean and flew around his head a lot. Maybe he just hated caring for that many chickens in general.
No kidding! Wow.! I was talking about 20 leghorns.
1f604.png
thanks

I've had plenty of Leghorns over the past 50 years, and mine have been considerably more high strung and flighty than my calmer breeds like Orpingtons, Australorps, Brahmas, Cochins, Sussex, etc. My children and I easily made lap pets of all of these breeds, but our Leghorns screamed bloody murder whenever any of us handled them (that's what I call high strung and flighty). :eek:) It's why, despite their laying ability, I no longer have Leghorns in my flock. And I'm far from alone in this experience with Leghorns. BYC has loads of members who have had Leghorns and had the same experience with them.

Leghorns are great as long as you respect their love of freedom. Mine are amazing layers, and can be really sweet until you get too close for their comfort. They are truly freebirds in terms of personality. Let's also remember broodiness has practically been bred out of them, so they're less likely to want to be held and coddled compared to say, an Orpington or Cochin. For brown eggs, you can't go wrong with red sex links. For white eggs, Leghorns hands down.

In the gulf coast region of Texas my research indicates the most frequent layers of large eggs are White Leghorns, production Rhode Island Red, Black sex links and red sex links. Also advertised as frequent large egg layers were Plymouth Rock, Wyandotte and Sussex. If your winters or summers are extreme you may consider breeds and hybrids that lay well during hot or cold weather

Back
Top Bottom