Opinions on best egg layers

That's an old record. The current world egg laying record is held by a White Leghorn with 371 eggs in 365 days (see http://cafnr.missouri.edu/about/chicken.php).

I have brown leghorns and they are not doing to well this winter My speckled Sussex is wonderful layers out of the seven I have I get 6 eggs a day all through this bad winter we have. friendly as can be they are still pullets The 2 year old Sussex I have gave me wonderful chicks last year X,s 3 wonderful mother. Leghorns are very disappointing I was hoping for more out of them . Hoping It will change soon . I am keeping them all hoping to get more chicks this spring . I would say get one or two Sussex and see how they are for you. I like every thing about them .
They love the kids and act like kids them self so mischievous.

For egg layers, I like Austrolorps, Leghorns, and I have also had good luck with Americaunas too. Sexlinks also are good.

I have brown leghorns and they are not doing to well this winter.
Leghorns, which are Mediterranean breeds, have difficulties handling really cold winter weather. They laying houses keep them in a warm, lighted, climate control environment (the laying record was set under these conditions). When I lived where winter temperatures really plummeted and days were shorter and darker, my Black and Red Sex Links both outlayed my Leghorns. I was especially impressed by the persistence of my Black Sex Links lay rate in really cold winter weather.

I have been doing some research recently for my next lot of chickens, I think that the australorp would be hard to beat for egg laying in good conditions. I found this article and I'm very impressed with them.

It was the egg laying performance of Australorps that attracted world attention when in 1922-23 a team of six hens set a world record by laying 1,857 eggs for an average of 309.5 eggs per hen during a 365 consecutive day trial. It must be remembered that these figures were achieved without the lighting regimes of the modern intensive shed. Such performances had importation orders flooding in from England, United States of America, South Africa, Canada and Mexico. Well looked after Australorps lay approximately 250 light-brown eggs per year. A new record was set when a hen laid 364 eggs in 365 days.[9] They are also known to be good nest sitters and mothers, making them one of the most exceptional large, heritage utility breeds of chicken.

I have Partridge Rocks that don't lay at all much anymore (they are almost 2 years old). They never really laid eggs at all.
I have Barred Rocks that are good layers (I usually see 3-6 in the nest a day out of like 14 hens)
I have Golden Stars/Golden Comets/Gold Links. They lay a lot. I still have 5 that will be turning 3 this year I think and they are still laying good.

I thought I replied here, but I guess not.
Just to add my two cents to the conversation:

When I started keeping chickens two years ago, I bought the last eleven chicks that TSC had; they happened to be five Golden Comets and five White Leghorns (and a Bantam Cochin Frizzle).
The Comets produced 4-5 eggs per week per hen in the winter, and 6-7 eggs per week per hen in the summer.
The White Leghorns produced 4-5 eggs per week per hen in the winter and 6-7 eggs per week per hen in the summer too.
The main difference between the WL and the GC was that the WLs seemed to be more ready effected by changes in daylight (quicker to stop laying, but quicker to recover once the light picked back up again; even cloudy days effected them. The GCs, on the other hand, not as readily effected by changes in daylight; there was more of a delay in their laying slowing down.
For instance, if there was one cloudy day, the WLs wouldn't lay the next day, but the Comets wouldn't miss a beat; however, if there was a cloudy week, the Comets would lay a day or two into the cloudy week, but it would take an additional day or two beyond the WLs picking back up.

If I had it to do again, I would do the same thing. If I wanted just hens for eggs, I would buy half a dozen each of WL and Red Sex-Link pullets every year and cull hens when they stop laying. I free range, so I would kind of have to buy more than someone who kept their hens in a run to replace losses due to predation. (I do put my chickens in a secure coop at night; I let them free range and forage during the day.)

I hope that helps you some. =)

I like all the suggestions I saw for breeds, but excuse me if someone has already said this: The conditions in which the hens live (other than weather) can affect their egg production. Make sure they get good nutrition and plenty of veggie scraps; keep their coop clean and dry; provide adequate water and space; and snake-proof the coop! Some people keep the hens producing through the winter with artificial light, but this may just wear them out sooner (same amount of eggs over shorter period of time). I don't care for that system myself.

My RIR lays about everyday and so does my Australorp. My EE lays 5 out of seven. Most days I am 2 or3 from 3 so I think that is a good laying rate. And they are all great birds. I do keep the coop clean and treat them right!

My RIR lays about everyday and so does my Australorp. My EE lays 5 out of seven. Most days I am 2 or3 from 3 so I think that is a good laying rate. And they are all great birds. I do keep the coop clean and treat them right!
Australorp, Barred. Marans, Leghorns, Orpingtons. Easter Eggers are all heavy egg layers. The Australorp are also excellent meat birds. Australorp are excellent dual purpose. I have crossed Australorp with Marans. This is proving to be a very good move.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom