opinions on corn

birdmantwo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 8, 2013
Brushvalley Pa.
I have been feeding my pigeons cracked corn . Talked to a old time pigeon breeder today. He told me not to feed them cracked corn, only use shelled corn. He said the cracked corn will scratch there throats and could poke a hole in the crop. Witch could cause a lot of problems. Any opinions. Thanks Jim

cracked corn is linked to causeing canker in pigeons also it molds faster cracked corn is not good for pigeons first where is the heart of the kernal in the sack you bought or the next sack.that is why you buy feed corn i have never heard of cracked corn in a pigeon feed you pay more for cracked corn most doves and pigeons can eat whole corn so why use cracked corn if you think whole corn is to big get some pop corn this is also used in some pigeon mixes or do what i do feed chicken laying pellets when it gets cold put some whole corn out and let them eat it if they want

Thanks Larry lofts, the cracked corn is not in my pigeon feed. I mix pigeon feed , game bird grower , and cracked corn.I never seen cracked corn in pigeon feed either now that you brought it up. Should have caught that myself. Always learning something new all the time. Thanks for the info. will change over to whole corn. Thanks Jim

Back
Top Bottom