Opinions on my cat in the yard with chickens?

We have a stray that came for dinner 5 years ago and never left!
lol.png
She's a great hunter - has really kept the mouse and chipmunk population down. She can bring down a full grown rabbit, but she's never bothered the chickens. She also was one that went nose to beak with a chicken...just as I was saying "Ah, how cute" the chicken pecked the nose of the cat - off went the cat, and she now gives the birds a wide birth!
tongue.png

Haha awesome, thanks for the responses guys
smile.png
Seem like some of us have had similar experiences!!
Only one of my cats are outdoor because he absolutely INSISTED on going outside.. we could not keep him in the house for the LIFE of us.. So the feline gets his way.. haha
tongue.png
and I think he enjoys watching the chickens out there. Its something new to him, so I didn't wanna have to separate them completely. Good to hear that it seems safe enough to have them both roam the yard together
smile.png

NEWS!! We live in the city and have been looking for a nice country home, FINALLY FOUND ONE!!! Hopefully moving out there soon. As SOON as we looked at the house, the FIRST thing I said to my mom and dad was " DIBS ON THE OLD SHED IN THE BACK!!!" And they were like.. "Uhhh okay that things old and ragged what do you want with it?".. and I replied with "CHICKEN COOP!!!!" haha
smile.png
And it looks like my dad is in on the work that has to be done to that shed. So I'm on the hunt for some chicks to expand my chicken family!!

I've got my heart set on a couple barred rock chicks! Maybe some orpingtons too, they seem nice:) Anyone have any breed suggestions for me?
big_smile.png

i have 9 chickens full grown and a neighborhood full of cats. i've never had a problem with cats and full sized chickens or even silkies. chicks dif story. my calico will only chase my hens if they go out of the yard and then only till they are in yard. thats right my cat herds my hens. it is a funny sight. but be careful and like any new pet be there when they meet

my two cats, my dog and my chickens all hang out together pretty much all day. i have 8 hens that are still young that only get to get out at night while i am home and the cats and dog just really do not pay much attention to them.

My Tom cat Puddy guards my chickens with his life. When it's cold he sleeps in the coop with them snuggled up in a nest between two of the bigger girls. He adopted us as a fully grown Tom, he's never hurt a feather on anyone. It all depends on the cat.

I have not had any problems with my cat attacking or hurting chickens. While the adult hens stay away from her, the 7 or 8wk old chicks have some big balls and go right up to her face, lol .. I don't think they know that she's a cat.. after all, they free range with goats all day

Last edited:
My cats get along fine with my chickens other cats I won't risk it with my bantoms ,they are way too small and tasty to let them out.

Only had one problem with a cat and an adult bird and that was when the cat accidently got locked in the chicken pen overnight. Next morning, dead hen with most of her breast eaten.

Back
Top Bottom