Ordered chicks from hoovers hatchery, how do i make sure they they survive ok?

Mar 3, 2023
I ordered 15 chicks from hoovers hatchery and they will be here next week. I own chickens already but i have never ordered them. Ive heard a lot about them dying in shipping. What do i do to help them survive once i get them? I have a homeade brooder, and i am getting medicated chick feed, save-a-chick for the water, what else can i do for them? Please reply ideas 

Hi there. Sugar water with a bit of egg yolk is good for shaky chicks to help them get over shipping. I've only lost one chick in 10 years of ordering chicks through the mail but I don't order in the winter. They should be OK, most hatcheries include little heat packs for the shipping.
You can't use Sav a chick with medicated feed, it will cancel out the ampriol in the feed.
Ampriol is in the feed to have keep Coccidosis at bay, it blocks vit b (thiamine) to keep the coccidae from taking over. Adding vitamin B cancels it out.
Make sure you teach them to drink by dipping their beaks in water.

Temperature test your set up and be sure to show them where the food and water are.

It sounds like you are pretty prepared so I am confident you will do great getting them up and running

Thankyou! I also was wondering, i have a heat lamp, should i use that? Or is there something else i should use as heat?

Hi there. Sugar water with a bit of egg yolk is good for shaky chicks to help them get over shipping. I've only lost one chick in 10 years of ordering chicks through the mail but I don't order in the winter. They should be OK, most hatcheries include little heat packs for the shipping.
You can't use Sav a chick with medicated feed, it will cancel out the ampriol in the feed.
Ampriol is in the feed to have keep Coccidosis at bay, it blocks vit b (thiamine) to keep the coccidae from taking over. Adding vitamin B cancels it out.

Just an opinion here but in a fresh brooder (presumably free from the parasite) it won't hurt to use it those first few days.

Try Hydro-Hen instead of Sav-A-Chick if you don't want the vitamins. It has electrolytes, probiotics, and acidifiers (don't need to use apple cider vinegar along with Hydro-Hen if you were thinking of doing that).

Thankyou so much! So should i not use save a chick or not use medicated feed? And thanks for the sugar egg water thing! I appreciate the advice!

Back
Top Bottom