Ordered my 1st chicks!!

Okay @Blooie and @Mutt Farm I got a little thermometer and it is about 83-84 degrees under the chick cave. I put them all under there again and they promptly went to sleep! I'm going to worry less now. Thanks for all your guidance!

I can't even stand the cuteness! I'm going to use @Blooie method next year. Way more stable heat source. I could not regulate the heat lamp here. Like SC, we never get frigid, but I brooded mine in a big melon box my tack room in April. 85 daytime, 50 at night.
barnie.gif
They were always either too hot or too cold. I also think natural sunlight would have been better, Red light= no bright sun, white light = light 24/7. I'm excited to see how yours fare. Me thinks sometimes outside the box is better in the end.

You are so welcome! @Jeanette01 , I am so sorry we kinda hijacked your thread! I get a little overenthusiastic about this method of raising chicks, and the right thing to do would have been to lead those interested over the the articles and threads that cover it. Forgive me?

hide.gif

Oh my goodness, please don't apologize!! I am loving every second of it!! I am learning more and more with each post.. and of course getting more and more anxious for mine to arrive..:)

Oh my goodness, please don't apologize!! I am loving every second of it!! I am learning more and more with each post.. and of course getting more and more anxious for mine to arrive..
smile.png
Thank you for that. But still and all the courteous thing to do would have been to at least ask you if we could continue this discussion here or if we should move it. That said, I'm so glad you are picking up ideas and finding some of the information helpful - or entertaining, whichever fits! We are anxious for your Littles to arrive too, and don't worry - you can raise them in the oven in a cake pan if that's what's gonna work before for you. Um, but if it doesn't work don't tell anyone I suggested it!
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom