Ordering chicks! Help me pick a breedšŸ˜

What breed should I get?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I am placing my first online chick order of the season. I have decided on 10 Buff Orpingtons and 10 of some other breed. I just canā€™t decide which ā€œother breedā€ to get! A few of my options are:

Barred Rocks
Silver Laced Wyandottes
Golden Laced Wyandottes
Rhode Island Reds
ISA Browns
Black Australorps
Cinnamon Queens
Golden Comet
Hampbars
Black Sex-Links
The reason I voted for Golden laced Wyandotte is they also make good mothers if you'll put a rooster in you can further your next generation all by themselves

I am placing my first online chick order of the season. I have decided on 10 Buff Orpingtons and 10 of some other breed. I just canā€™t decide which ā€œother breedā€ to get! A few of my options are:

Barred Rocks
Silver Laced Wyandottes
Golden Laced Wyandottes
Rhode Island Reds
ISA Browns
Black Australorps
Cinnamon Queens
Golden Comet
Hampbars
Black Sex-Links
I have buffs and Australorps. People will say Australorps can be bullies but in my yard the buffs rule. Both lay well are cold and heat hardy and gentle friendly birds

You can find smaller hatcheries that will sell in small numbers allowing more variety.
McMurray you can order 15 different breeds of chicks, free shipping! Ideal minimum is about 8 chicks (can order 8 different breeds), $20 shipping, Mt Healthy is 10 chicks (different breeds) for $15 shipping. I think Meyer is 15 birds for $15 ship but that one im not 100% sure of!

No. Some ( or most ) will be sold, so I'm just figuring out what people prefer the most.
My guess is that the answer will still be dependent on several factors, most specifically, what area of the country do you live in (where would the chickens be going once sold)? Because of where I live, I HAVE to only get cold-hardy breeds. If you live somewhere that gets very warm, Black Australorps would be a bad choice.

Back
Top Bottom