Oregon

to those in the Oregon City/Molalla/Estacada area, what are all the predators we should be aware of? I'm in Beavercreek, right in the middle of these three areas, and consider skunks, raccoons, coyotes, Hawks, and owls to be my biggest predators. There's the occasional cougar sighting around here. Do bobcats or any other Oregon predators make it around here commonly?

Sorry I just recently saw your post. If you live anywhere near a stream you might also have Mink (or weasel). I remember seeing them when I was a kid. I did a quick search and thought I'd pass this information along...nocturnal like raccoons so it is unusual to see them in daylight.

Mink

http://www.nationaltrappers.com/mink.html

"Mink kill a variety of prey species, including muskrats, crayfish, frogs, rabbits, fish, birds, snakes, grasshoppers, and water beetles. Mink often catch fish and have also been known to enter chicken houses and kill chickens."

http://aaanimalcontrol.com/Professional-Trapper/howtogetridofweasels.html

http://icwdm.org/handbook/carnivor/Mink.asp
"Mink are protected furbearers in most states, with seasons established for taking them when their fur is prime. Most states, however, have provisions for landowners to control furbearers which are damaging their property at anytime of the year. Check with your state wildlife agency before using any lethal controls."

You're in Clackamas County so dog control is usually pretty good at keeping feral/wild dogs rounded up, but stray/neighbors dogs are always something else to keep in mind, although if you've protected against coyotes you're probably good. Yes we do also get bobcats just highly unlikely/very rarely. Opossum (common) and porcupines (rare). Good luck. Hope your fortifications keep these guys all out.

Last edited:
The transplant is now officially complete -- we have landed in St. Helens (spent the last month with the husband here and the kiddo, me, the dog and cat all down in Lebanon with my sister/mom). The best part of the house we found, for me anyway, is that our new landlords have already voiced full support of me having chickens (and it's allowed by the city).....in reality it will likely be next spring before that happens (have to give DH, FIL and the kid time to get me a coop built, lol), but just knowing it's going to happen is enough to carry me through until then.

The transplant is now officially complete -- we have landed in St. Helens (spent the last month with the husband here and the kiddo, me, the dog and cat all down in Lebanon with my sister/mom).  The best part of the house we found, for me anyway, is that our new landlords have already voiced full support of me having chickens (and it's allowed by the city).....in reality it will likely be next spring before that happens (have to give DH, FIL and the kid time to get me a coop built, lol), but just knowing it's going to happen is enough to carry me through until then. 

Welcome to Oregon! Hope you enjoy St. Helens. You helped me so much when I got chicks for the first time. Haven't logged in as everything is going well.
One of my chickens even flies to perch on my arm. The girls were co-existing with my u fenced vegetable garden until last week.

It's been so much fun
1f600.png
Hope you enjoy planning your new coop!

Can they eat swiss chard? Or should I ask, what cant a chicken eat????

Yes Swiss chard can be fed to chickens.

There is a long list of potentially toxic plants for chickens. You can find them online. My backyard has a number of potentially toxic plants that are on the list. I did worry but my chickens been fine. So far, I haven't had any problems. I have hundreds of daffodils which I think are supposed to be toxic. The chickens leave them alone.

Hi fellow Oregonians, I've been on BYC's website once in a while and now I have a beautiful Blue Andalusian rooster that we need to give to a good home. We got him with a bunch of hens from Murray McMurray hatchery in May, but we don't breed, so would like to find someone who can take him. He's about 3+ mos. old and is starting to get frisky with our hens - no bueno! We're located just outside of Banks Oregon. Thanks!

Is anyone else planning on going to this seminar?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...734714&usg=AFQjCNFNlwJif58in2MUYy7GUa5vvcbUKw

It's free, and looks like some good information. I'm in Grants Pass and am planning on heading up that morning, so kind of butt-early, and back the same day. I'd be interested in carpooling if anyone down south wants to go. I have a van, so plenty of room for fellow crazy chicken ladies
smile.png

Or, if anyone else is going from up north, it would be cool to meet up and put faces to names. Fellow addicts, and all that
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom