Oregon

Why not try to sell them locally

That's what I was thinking.  This next week is supposed to be horribly hot.  Good advice.  I think I may just put them out in the "in-between" coop and pasture.  I was hoping to go to the Brownsville Swap, but I have to get the kids back to OK that weekend.  It is hard to sell them locally.  I can just imagine all the hate mail from Craig's List.  "Are you out of your mind??? Does it lay golden eggs?  It's just a chicken!!!"  Lol.  I may just put an ad out for my own amusement.  :gig

LOL no kidding! ;) Are you on FB? There are several local poultry groups on there...

Trying to plan ahead here. We live in Central Oregon, and we will be gone in Dec for 2 1/2 days. We have 9 pullets and 1 Roo and their coop is 8x8 with a run of 8x12 . My question is since I don't want to bother our neighbors during the holidays to come open and close the coop each night could I leave the coop door open to come and go to their secure run or would it be alright to leave them locked up while we are gone? I thought I could put straw in the run and coop to make it extra warm. This will be our first winter with chickens and I am not sure what I should do. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....
My birds have access to their runs 24/7. IF your run is secure they should be fine. My biggest concern would be about water. That time of year it may freeze leaving them with nothing to drink.
I would not put straw down. First it is hollow and provides good hiding spots for parasites. Second it will pack down and become like one big slab making it very tough to clean out!

Trying to plan ahead here. We live in Central Oregon, and we will be gone in Dec for 2 1/2 days. We have 9 pullets and 1 Roo and their coop is 8x8 with a run of 8x12 . My question is since I don't want to bother our neighbors during the holidays to come open and close the coop each night could I leave the coop door open to come and go to their secure run or would it be alright to leave them locked up while we are gone? I thought I could put straw in the run and coop to make it extra warm. This will be our first winter with chickens and I am not sure what I should do. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....
My birds have access to their runs 24/7. IF your run is secure they should be fine. My biggest concern would be about water. That time of year it may freeze leaving them with nothing to drink. I would not put straw down. First it is hollow and provides good hiding spots for parasites. Second it will pack down and become like one big slab making it very tough to clean out!
X2 - I also live in Central Oregon, with 24/7 run access, never had a problem. Free ranging, slightly different story, but...I use a 5 gal bucket waterer with poulty nipples, and add a low wattage bucket deicer in the winter that sinks to the bottom. So far their water has stayed thawed, enough. Even when the top has frozen the bottom stayed thawed and the nipples still worked.

Sonja,

We are moving to Roseburg area hopefully by the end of the year. I will keep you in mind for next year as I would love to have some Jubilee Orps.
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom